Breaking NEW ground

President Donna Shalala, along with Chairman of the Board of Trustees Dean Colson and Mayor of Coral Gables Don Slesnick, officially broke ground on University Village last Wednesday, March 23. The Village will be on 12 landscaped acres near Red Road and Brescia Avenue. This will be the first new housing development on campus in 35 years, with 800 singles in 271 units for upperclassmen, law and graduate students. Shalala hopes that the creation of such housing will help encourage students, who may otherwise have lived off campus, to stay involved in campus activities.

“Our students are thrilled about this new housing option which will allow them to stay involved in the UM community,” Shalala said.

As of now, only 27 percent of students can live on campus. The Village will include landscaped lawns, additional security for the area and extra parking for residents. The complex will also have a full-time manager. After 13 years of planning thusfar, University Village is scheduled to be completed by 2006.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The 2019-20 college basketball season is more than six months away, but the University of Miami Hurr ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

Following a 4-1 victory over No. 13-seed Virginia Tech Thursday in its ACC Championship opener, the ...

The fifth-seeded Miami women's tennis team started ACC Championship competition with a 4-1 vict ...

The Hurricanes will battle fourth-seed NC State in the quarterfinals Friday at 9 a.m. ...

The Canes made a late charge, but fell short at No. 8 Louisville 7-5 ...

Because of expected inclement weather, Thursday's game time has been moved up one hour to 5 p.m ...