Baseball faces toughest test of season vs Georgia Tech

After securing its second ACC series win, the University of Miami baseball team will take on conference opponent Georgia Tech at home this weekend, beginning Friday night.

The Hurricanes defeated Wake Forest in last weekend’s series opener with a final score of 11-2. Cesar Carrillo led the effort as the starting pitcher, lasting seven innings without allowing the Yellow Jackets to score.

The ‘Canes suffered a loss in the second game of the series but clinched the series win during the final game Sunday, finishing 12-4. Sophomore Ricky Orta made his way into the pitching rotation once again as the starting pitcher in the last game of the series. He proved to be a valuable thrower and was able to endure seven innings of play.

“I just concentrate on going out there and pitching as many strikes as possible, hoping to only have to throw three times to get the batter out,” Orta said.

Four home runs were hit during the game by junior Ryan Braun, freshman Walter Diaz and sophomores Eddy Rodriguez and Danny Valencia. Braun’s home run was the 36th of his career, putting him at ninth place in the UM all-time record book.

The Yellow Jackets are currently at the top of the ACC with a 9-0 record and are 19-2 overall, while Miami holds the No. 3 position behind Florida State. According to the newly released weekly polls, Georgia Tech has surpassed the ‘Canes, who had been seeded first in the coaches’ preseason polls. The meeting between the two teams will be an exciting series to watch as the Hurricanes work to reclaim their No. 1 position.

Last season the opponents met on the Yellow Jackets’ territory in Atlanta. After losing the first game of the road series by thirteen runs, the ‘Canes came back to take the final two games and the overall series victory, finishing 9-7 and 16-13 respectively. This year the Yellow Jackets are ready to sting, especially with a conference win at stake.

In other news, Chris Perez’s suspension has been lifted after sitting out 10 games; however, he will not make it into the starting rotation for this weekend’s series. Carrillo will remain the top pitcher, Orta will move up to the No. 2 position and senior Dan Touchet will fall to the No. 3 spot against Georgia Tech.

“We are playing a club with one of the best offenses on our schedule this weekend,” Head Coach Jim Morris said. “To prepare the team we will be watching footage of their games this season and defining their weaknesses. Knowing their weak points and playing our strengths will be the strategy for the series.”

Stacey Arnold can be contacted at s.arnold@umiami.edu.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...