Aida lights up the stage

After attending a performance of Aida at the Actors’ Playhouse at the Miracle Theater in Coral Gables, I realized I’ve been missing out.

The theater, located on Miracle Mile, is small. The audience there ranged from young children to mature theater goers.

Directed by David Arisco, with music by Elton John and lyrics by Tim Rice, Aida was pleasing overall.

The actors were skilled performers, some of which were Floridians, though many were touring professionals. Amneris, played by Melanie Penn, sang beautifully, captivating audience members with her delicate but powerful voice. Radames was performed strongly by Christopher Kent. The lead, Aida, was performed by Desmon Walker, who clearly stole the show. Her voice far surpassed the voices of her fellow actors, and her presence demanded attention. Currently working for the Miami-Dade County Department of Park and Recreation/Devision of Arts and Culture, she should be encouraged to pursue a professional, full-time acting career.

The plot of the musical revolves around Aida, a Nubian Princess. After being captured, she is made Amneris’ personal slave. Amneris, also a princess, is to wed Radames, who falls in love with Aida. Aida’s father, the Nubian King, is captured, only then to be helped by Radames and the Nubian slaves to escape. Aida remains with Ramades and the two are persecuted for their actions and sentenced to death.

Just as the story begins with a scene of a museum, it ends with Aida and Ramedes as modern characters who make eye contact in the museum and realize a past connection, ending the show with a kiss.

The show will continue through April 10th, with performances Wed. – Sat. at 8p.m. and Sat. and Sun. at 2 p.m.

>> For more information, visit www.actorsplayhouse.org.

Aj Sarcione can be contacted at a.sarcione@umiami.edu.

Seniors Emily Gossett, Millie Chokshi, and Jason Kaplan are eager to implement their platform throug ...

Follow the sights and sounds of the pregame festivities in Orlando leading up to Saturday’s big game ...

A team of researchers created the first mapping model of its kind to track how hate spreads and adap ...

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

The Hurricanes take center stage Saturday as the nation begins celebrating college football's 1 ...

Head coach Manny Diaz and The New Miami will make their debut against an old rival, facing No. 8 Flo ...

Freshman midfielder Ine Østmo joined the Hurricanes in January as an early enrolee from Mandal, Norw ...

Senior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Michael Pinckney and Zach McCloud have already made history ...

UM women's soccer opened its 2019 campaign by blowing past UTRGV, 4-0. ...