Aida lights up the stage

After attending a performance of Aida at the Actors’ Playhouse at the Miracle Theater in Coral Gables, I realized I’ve been missing out.

The theater, located on Miracle Mile, is small. The audience there ranged from young children to mature theater goers.

Directed by David Arisco, with music by Elton John and lyrics by Tim Rice, Aida was pleasing overall.

The actors were skilled performers, some of which were Floridians, though many were touring professionals. Amneris, played by Melanie Penn, sang beautifully, captivating audience members with her delicate but powerful voice. Radames was performed strongly by Christopher Kent. The lead, Aida, was performed by Desmon Walker, who clearly stole the show. Her voice far surpassed the voices of her fellow actors, and her presence demanded attention. Currently working for the Miami-Dade County Department of Park and Recreation/Devision of Arts and Culture, she should be encouraged to pursue a professional, full-time acting career.

The plot of the musical revolves around Aida, a Nubian Princess. After being captured, she is made Amneris’ personal slave. Amneris, also a princess, is to wed Radames, who falls in love with Aida. Aida’s father, the Nubian King, is captured, only then to be helped by Radames and the Nubian slaves to escape. Aida remains with Ramades and the two are persecuted for their actions and sentenced to death.

Just as the story begins with a scene of a museum, it ends with Aida and Ramedes as modern characters who make eye contact in the museum and realize a past connection, ending the show with a kiss.

The show will continue through April 10th, with performances Wed. – Sat. at 8p.m. and Sat. and Sun. at 2 p.m.

>> For more information, visit www.actorsplayhouse.org.

Aj Sarcione can be contacted at a.sarcione@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...