Miami ARTS Night poetry impresses

If you missed “Miami ARTS Night,” you missed an amazing performance. The lights dimmed onto Gonzalo Gonzalez, the organizer of the event, as he welcomed the audience of students, professors and community members.

Beginning the show was a believable Miami-style monologue. Playing off on the bilingual nature of Miami life, “The Miami Commute,” written by Rebekah Voss and performed by Diane Zelenka, captured the audience’s attention. Voss’ writing filled the evening’s program, and each of her works deserve praise. Her talent of singing accompanied her words to the song “You’re Not Mine,” composed by Raina Murnak. Gonzalez offered his talents of composition and piano. His work, “Duo for Solo Cello and Dancer,” was playful and moving. Jessica Linick choreographed the piece and danced.

Later in the program he showcased his exceptional improvisation abilities in “Improversion,” composed by Jennifer Post. Improversion incorporated improvisation on the piano with certain keys linked to text. As a certain key was played, a line of text sounded. The pianist could control the sound not only musically but also lyrically.

A project of music and video, “Our Scheme,” was played, with music composed by Garrett Shatzer. Two performances of spoken word were also showcased. Brent Johnson performed his works, “If” and “The Fallout,” which had a rap feel to them and the latter piece focused on the tsunami victims. Janet Tamez, a soulful Latina, performed three pieces: “Sunday Cleaning,” “La Morenita” and “Ms. Iris Chacon.” Accompanied by Geneva Harrison on the conga, Tamez performed her poetry with a shake in her hips, and included English and Spanish in her works.

Tamez is working on developing a poetry slam organization at UM, and her performance displayed the creative ability to build a competitive group. Closing the show was a large performance, “The Transformation,” with music by Peter McDonald, story by Mary McDonald and choreography by Jessica Linick and Georgia Ross. The piece included multiple instruments and a dance performance by both choreographers. Later, Gonzalez said, “My composition colleagues are already talking about their plans to revive the concert for next year. I hope the concert continues to develop each year.”

Gonzalez should be commended on organizing the event which should have been created years ago. He expressed his desire to incorporate visual artists into the program, which hopefully will occur next year. Look for “Miami ARTS Night” in 2006; you don’t want to miss it.

Aj Sarcione can be contacted at a.sarcione@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...