CD REVIEW – EISLEY Room Noises

Following its two EP releases in 2003, Eisley presents its first full-length album -although Room Noises is just that. A band composed of three sisters, their brother and their best friend, Eisley’s sound is unique-if unique means whiny and dragging.

The album opens with a dragging sound that is repeated throughout. One could say there is an original sound, a sound that mimics The Cardigans and plays off of the whining vocals of Evanescence. The problem is, Evanescence music is ear pleasing, whereas Eisley penetrates your ear with a depressing feel.

The album’s first song, “Memories,” revolves around ideas of farming, which supports the band members’ farm children look in a picture on the album.

“Golly Sandra,” the fourth track on the album, finally picks up, but the hokey-pokey feel is a poor attempt to show another side of the band. You still get the legato lines that are heavy in weight. This album could be played in a dorm room while reading or studying -it’s not going to keep your attention. The music itself changes, but the voices maintain a monotonous feel, particularly in “Plenty of Paper.” The band tries to move “Have Nagilar” along with pep, but the voices maintain their dragging feel by linking the words together vocally.

This is the kind of album one is unlikely to put in a CD player more than once. It’s a good thing the band members clap for themselves at the end of their final song on the album, because they are the only ones.

Jake Stone can be contacted at j.stone@umiami.edu.

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...

University of Miami head men's tennis coach Aljosa Piric revealed Friday the team's schedu ...