CD REVIEW – EISLEY Room Noises

Following its two EP releases in 2003, Eisley presents its first full-length album -although Room Noises is just that. A band composed of three sisters, their brother and their best friend, Eisley’s sound is unique-if unique means whiny and dragging.

The album opens with a dragging sound that is repeated throughout. One could say there is an original sound, a sound that mimics The Cardigans and plays off of the whining vocals of Evanescence. The problem is, Evanescence music is ear pleasing, whereas Eisley penetrates your ear with a depressing feel.

The album’s first song, “Memories,” revolves around ideas of farming, which supports the band members’ farm children look in a picture on the album.

“Golly Sandra,” the fourth track on the album, finally picks up, but the hokey-pokey feel is a poor attempt to show another side of the band. You still get the legato lines that are heavy in weight. This album could be played in a dorm room while reading or studying -it’s not going to keep your attention. The music itself changes, but the voices maintain a monotonous feel, particularly in “Plenty of Paper.” The band tries to move “Have Nagilar” along with pep, but the voices maintain their dragging feel by linking the words together vocally.

This is the kind of album one is unlikely to put in a CD player more than once. It’s a good thing the band members clap for themselves at the end of their final song on the album, because they are the only ones.

Jake Stone can be contacted at j.stone@umiami.edu.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...

The Canes head to the ACC Baseball Championship ranked in the top 20 in every major poll. ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team will once again represent her country ...