UMNEWS – University of Miami team raises most for ‘Walk for the Animals’

Fifteen hundred animal lovers and their dogs turned out for the Humane Society of Greater Miami’s annual Walk for the Animals on Feb. 26 at Bayfront Park in Downtown Miami. President Donna Shalala and her dog “Sweetie” served as grand marshals at the event, which raised over $104,000 for the Society’s pets, programs and services.

Joining Shalala at the front of the walk were Hall of Fame basketball legend Rick Barry and Olympic silver medalist and 2004 UM graduate Lauryn Williams.

Jim Joseph, University of Miami’s Director of Cash Operations, was the Walk for the Animals top individual fundraiser, with $7,425 in pledges. Joseph won a weekend stay at the Mandarin Oriental Miami and a framed official Walk for the Animals poster signed by world-renowned artist Marc Tetro. The walk’s top Pack of adult walkers was the University of Miami, with $12,179 in pledges, winning a party at Scotty’s Landing in Coconut Grove. The top Kids Pack was won by Miami Country Day School Upper Class with $1,925, winning a party at GameWorks.

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...