UM to get piece of cyberspace

Gone are the days of putting up flyers in bathroom stalls to sell textbooks or get rid of furniture. Student government (SG) signed a contract in early February to launch ‘Cane Exchange, a UM website similar to eBay. SG President Vance Aloupis anticipates the site to be functional by the week after Spring Break.

Dr. Pat Whitely, vice president of Student Affairs, gave the blessing for a one-year trial run, Aloupis said.

According to John Constantinide, Hecht Residential College senator, the site is going to be an online information medium to allow buyers and sellers meet online, post items and contact each other in person.

SG had several issues in mind in deciding to implement the site.

“Space is a huge issue on campus, and we wanted to clean up the bulletin boards.” Constantinide said. “We’re looking for improved communication between student organizations and students-it would change the way selling for fundraising is done.”

Tracey Siepser, junior, said that she would be eager to dispel the anonymity that comes with eBay commerce by using the ‘Cane Exchange site.

“If I can get relatively the same price I can get on eBay for textbooks, I’ll do it using the UM service because it will be easier and quicker to get them,” Siepser said.

The two main differences between ‘Cane Exchange and eBay are that there will be no monetary transactions online, and the service is only for UM students, faculty and alumni. Usage of the site require an email address which ends in umiami.edu or miami.edu.

“It’s simpler than eBay,” Constantinide said. “Since it’s University-endorsed, we don’t want to be liable for mistransactions.”

Aloupis was approached by Mike Levine, College of Arts and Sciences senator, with the idea.

“Since I am the webmaster and seem to exhibit the most technical knowledge in Student Government, Vance picked me in May to research the idea and head a committee on it,” Constantinide said. “I spent all summer researching companies, prices, and what other universities have done.”

Constantinide settled on Sinapse Consulting to engineer UM’s site. The company has serviced similar sites for Baylor University and Purdue University.

Purdue University’s site is called “Virtual Market” and features categories such as books, electronics, and lost and found.

According to Aloupis, decision-making required the cooperation between the departments of SG, Student Affairs, Information Technology and the general counsel of UM.

“We’ve worked out all the kinks over the past four months,” Aloupis said. “We’ve tried to anticipate anything that might go wrong. I’m really excited about it.”

“I won’t have to wait for shipping using the UM site,” said Jinelle Wint, junior. “For example, I just got a book a week ago that I ordered last semester from eBay. That won’t happen now.”

Reeva Oza can be contacted at r.oza@umiami.edu.

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...