Hurricanes crushed by surging Blue Devils

Miami picked the wrong night to try to steal a victory at Cameron Indoor Stadium.

J.J. Redick scored 29 points and senior Daniel Ewing had his first career double-double with 14 points and 10 assists as No. 6 Duke lambasted the Hurricanes 83-59 on Thursday in Durham, N.C. Shelden Williams, the ACC’s leading rebounder, added 14 points and 12 boards for the Blue Devils (22-4, 11-4), who won their fourth straight game on Senior Night.

Robert Hite led the Hurricanes (16-11, 7-9) with 17 points and Guillermo Diaz had 14, but the rest of the team did little to help its cause against the Blue Devils. Starting center Anthony King was held scoreless and senior Will Frisby only had four points in the loss.

The defeat leaves UM needing an impressive run in next week’s ACC Tournament to secure a berth in the NCAA Tournament. Anything short of that would likely put the Hurricanes in the NIT.

Redick was so dominant early on that he personally outscored Miami for most of the first half. His three free throws gave the Blue Devils a 27-11 lead with about nine minutes left, and their lead grew to as much as 24 points before the Hurricanes cut their deficit to 44-24 at halftime. Redick finished the first half with 18 points on 5-of-6 shooting.

Miami desperately needed to go on a run at the beginning of the second half, but Duke remained in attack mode, going on a 10-0 run to push its lead to 30 points. The Hurricanes never made a substantial dent in their deficit, and both teams emptied their benches, conceding the outcome of the game.

Duke has won six consecutive games against Miami, sweeping this year’s regular season series. The Blue Devils have earned at least 20 victories for nine straight seasons.

UM Head Coach Frank Haith told the Miami Herald that his team was simply overmatched.

“They’re a great team,” Haith said. “Great team. Great players. Great coach. They have the best player in this league on their team, J.J. Redick, and I thought he was outstanding. He made a lot of great plays. We never got going. Stood around a little bit. Our execution was poor…I thought we didn’t play well, but they had something to do with that too.”

Eric Kalis can be contacted at e.kalis@umiami.edu.

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The life of a fullback isn’t always glamorous, even 15 years ago before the position was essentially ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is the ITA Southeast Region Arthur Ashe ...

100 days until Miami – Florida LVI. The countdown is on. ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...