Hurricanes crushed by surging Blue Devils

Miami picked the wrong night to try to steal a victory at Cameron Indoor Stadium.

J.J. Redick scored 29 points and senior Daniel Ewing had his first career double-double with 14 points and 10 assists as No. 6 Duke lambasted the Hurricanes 83-59 on Thursday in Durham, N.C. Shelden Williams, the ACC’s leading rebounder, added 14 points and 12 boards for the Blue Devils (22-4, 11-4), who won their fourth straight game on Senior Night.

Robert Hite led the Hurricanes (16-11, 7-9) with 17 points and Guillermo Diaz had 14, but the rest of the team did little to help its cause against the Blue Devils. Starting center Anthony King was held scoreless and senior Will Frisby only had four points in the loss.

The defeat leaves UM needing an impressive run in next week’s ACC Tournament to secure a berth in the NCAA Tournament. Anything short of that would likely put the Hurricanes in the NIT.

Redick was so dominant early on that he personally outscored Miami for most of the first half. His three free throws gave the Blue Devils a 27-11 lead with about nine minutes left, and their lead grew to as much as 24 points before the Hurricanes cut their deficit to 44-24 at halftime. Redick finished the first half with 18 points on 5-of-6 shooting.

Miami desperately needed to go on a run at the beginning of the second half, but Duke remained in attack mode, going on a 10-0 run to push its lead to 30 points. The Hurricanes never made a substantial dent in their deficit, and both teams emptied their benches, conceding the outcome of the game.

Duke has won six consecutive games against Miami, sweeping this year’s regular season series. The Blue Devils have earned at least 20 victories for nine straight seasons.

UM Head Coach Frank Haith told the Miami Herald that his team was simply overmatched.

“They’re a great team,” Haith said. “Great team. Great players. Great coach. They have the best player in this league on their team, J.J. Redick, and I thought he was outstanding. He made a lot of great plays. We never got going. Stood around a little bit. Our execution was poor…I thought we didn’t play well, but they had something to do with that too.”

Eric Kalis can be contacted at e.kalis@umiami.edu.

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM coach Manny Diaz took his staff to the Florida Keys on Tuesday evening to visit with famous Keys ...

Dominic Mammarelli didn’t only commit to the Miami Hurricanes because of Mark Richt and his old staf ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

Mark Rowlands, a University of Miami professor who adopted and raised a wolf-dog cub, observed the s ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

The No. 15 Miami women's tennis team is set to open league competition Saturday afternoon with ...

ACC unveils opponents for 20-game conference schedules for next three seasons. ...

Miami tops Clemson 65-64, as Johnson hits game-winner with 0.4 seconds remaining. ...

The Miami women's tennis team ascended two spots in this week's Oracle/ITA team rankings a ...