Elsewhere – Princeton students engineer fingerprint entrance to dorm room

(U-WIRE) PRINCETON, N.J.-Dan Halpern-Leister ’07 no longer fumbles for his keys when he approaches his Princeton University dorm room. He touches a computer mouse mounted on the wall, then presses his forefinger to a touchpad. Inside a computer whirs, and the door to 232 Clapp Hall unlocks.

Halpern-Leister and hallmate Alec Chapman ’07 engineered the door to respond to the touch of the four roommates.

Halpern-Leistner had the idea in September and worked on it throughout fall semester. The fingerprints of Halpern-Leister and his three roommates-sophomores Yeong Dae Kwon, Marcus Lampert and Mark Salzman-are programmed as valid entries.

Chapman joined the project in November, and the two finished on Feb. 18.

The device’s recognition capability is made possible by a fingerprint reader, most likely designed for office employees to log onto their own computers without typing. Halpern-Leistner purchased it on eBay for less than $30.

An online seminar sponsored by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas

The first presidential debate between President Donald J. Trump and former vice president and democr

As the Miami Hurricanes take on Florida State, University of Miami students are invited to a Friday-

Linguist Caleb Everett reminds us that the mind has yet to grasp the modern world’s explosion of mas