Briefs – WOMEN’S BASKETBALL

Ivory Latta scored 19 points and hit the go-ahead three-pointer Saturday to help fourth-ranked North Carolina avoid an upset with a 64-57 win over Miami in the Atlantic Coast Conference tournament quarterfinals.

Nikita Bell added 13 points and eight rebounds for the top-seeded Tar Heels (25-3), who trailed most of the way before making a late run to reach Sunday’s semifinals.

Tamara James had 13 points and 14 rebounds for the ninth-seeded Hurricanes (13-16), who led by as many as 10 points in the first half and held a three-point edge with two minutes to play.

The Tar Heels-the top seed for the first time in eight years-have high hopes of winning their first tournament title since 1998. But they very nearly saw those dreams end abruptly against a team they beat by 31 points in the regular season.

Miami advanced to the quarterfinals with a 60-58 win over Georgia Tech, when James caught a half court heave and banked in a shot at the buzzer. Despite playing that tough game only 24 hours earlier, the Hurricanes showed so signs of fatigue early and jumped to the lead.

Their zone defense shut down Erlana Larkins and the Tar Heels’ inside game, though North Carolina certainly didn’t help itself with 10 turnovers in the first eight minutes.

The Tar Heels also missed their first 10 shots, going without a field goal for the game’s first seven minutes. James and Miami took advantage, taking a 16-6 lead on a 3-pointer from Katie Hayek midway through the half.

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is on the verge of losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses ...

The postseason acknowledgments continue to roll in for Gerald Willis. The Miami Hurricanes defensive ...

It is recruiting season in college football, and the Miami Hurricanes have one particular commitment ...

The early signing period is right around the corner and the Miami Hurricanes have plenty of work to ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...