A fond look back at my Convocation

Most journalists have some sort of an epiphany that sparks their desire to start writing columns, for me, it was the Convocation Center-and, no, it wasn’t for its success.

It isn’t that I couldn’t see the potential, or that it seemed a colossal waste of donated funds (although at the time, that may also have clouded my mind). Rather, the Convocation Center merely stood for everything that UM shouldn’t: a scarcely competitive basketball team, events better-suited for viewers of The Ashlee Simpson Show, and more than anything, inactivity.

So I came out and wrote my first column (and fifth…and sixth) about how the Convocation Center wasn’t accommodating the interests of the student body. Sure, a pre-Guillermo Diaz men’s squad was not the Convocation Center’s fault; Good Charlotte, on the other hand, was.

Then, the most interesting thing happened. Miami switched to the high-octane basketball conference that is the ACC and top-notch programs like Maryland, and Duke all made successful visits to Coral Gables. And, with lines wrapping around the arena during the Blue Devils’ visit, talks rekindled regarding seat expansion. Oh, and as for music? How’s the opener to Green Day’s tour sound? It’s certainly music to my ears.

All this gave me time to reflect on the not-so-good-ole days, when it cost an arm and a leg to watch Coldplay at the Convocation Center. After writing my first scathing article about the Convocation Center, a glorified intern named Jessica Hall who worked for Global Spectrum (the group that essentially finds entertainers for the arena) wrote a letter to the editor questioning my journalistic integrity.

As a member of UM’s Honor Council, I took great offense to Hall’s slanderous remarks that I made information up and did not do research prior to writing my column. The 600-word response I wrote (subsequently never published) remained taped to my front door as a reminder that negative criticism comes with the territory. So, when I first approached this article, I wondered: Should I apologize to Jessica Hall? After all, hindsight is twenty-twenty.

Then I had my journalistic epiphany. So what if I couldn’t predict the current successes of our arena? So what if some under-informed bottom feeder falsely accused me of having no integrity?

In the end, integrity is knowing what process you went through to come to the correct decision; it’s also knowing when you were wrong. I know now that the future has many great things in store for this arena. I still know that the Convocation Center didn’t live up to its initial hype.

And, while Ms. Hall may never come to a similar conclusion-that Global Spectrum floundered in its preliminary attempts-and for that matter may never admit her wrongs, at least I know this:

I can write my opinion about her whenever I want.

Ben Minkus can be contacted b.minkus@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...