UMNEWS – UM Center on Aging receives $1 million grant

The Center on Aging at the University of Miami has received a $1 million grant from Pfizer Inc., the worldwide leader in pharmaceutical research and development. The grant will be used to help establish a Center for Advanced Studies on Aging focused not just on illness prevention, but on optimizing quality of life.

“The initiative, catalyzed by Pfizer, will support the creation of this special new project that will emphasize the importance of bringing together the best minds in aging, business, the health professions and others to address the bittersweet effects of the dramatic increase of older persons in the United States and throughout the world,” said Carl Eisdorfer, Ph.D., M.D., Director of the University of Miami Center on Aging. “Our emphasis is on enhancing the ability of older people to have a positive influence on their own lives and that of their community.”

According to Census data, approximately 35 million Americans are 65 or older. In the next few decades, the number of people over 65 in the United States is expected to double as people are living longer and baby boomers will advance in age.

“The growing aging population will have a profound impact on society, especially when it comes to healthcare,” said Joseph M. Feczko, M.D., President, Worldwide Development, and Executive Vice President of Pfizer Global Research and Development. “Pfizer shares the University of Miami’s commitment to improving the health and wellness of older Americans and we are proud to contribute to their efforts.”

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

Despite earning the doubles point, the No. 15 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision ...