UMNEWS – UM Center on Aging receives $1 million grant

The Center on Aging at the University of Miami has received a $1 million grant from Pfizer Inc., the worldwide leader in pharmaceutical research and development. The grant will be used to help establish a Center for Advanced Studies on Aging focused not just on illness prevention, but on optimizing quality of life.

“The initiative, catalyzed by Pfizer, will support the creation of this special new project that will emphasize the importance of bringing together the best minds in aging, business, the health professions and others to address the bittersweet effects of the dramatic increase of older persons in the United States and throughout the world,” said Carl Eisdorfer, Ph.D., M.D., Director of the University of Miami Center on Aging. “Our emphasis is on enhancing the ability of older people to have a positive influence on their own lives and that of their community.”

According to Census data, approximately 35 million Americans are 65 or older. In the next few decades, the number of people over 65 in the United States is expected to double as people are living longer and baby boomers will advance in age.

“The growing aging population will have a profound impact on society, especially when it comes to healthcare,” said Joseph M. Feczko, M.D., President, Worldwide Development, and Executive Vice President of Pfizer Global Research and Development. “Pfizer shares the University of Miami’s commitment to improving the health and wellness of older Americans and we are proud to contribute to their efforts.”

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...