UMNEWS – UM Center on Aging receives $1 million grant

The Center on Aging at the University of Miami has received a $1 million grant from Pfizer Inc., the worldwide leader in pharmaceutical research and development. The grant will be used to help establish a Center for Advanced Studies on Aging focused not just on illness prevention, but on optimizing quality of life.

“The initiative, catalyzed by Pfizer, will support the creation of this special new project that will emphasize the importance of bringing together the best minds in aging, business, the health professions and others to address the bittersweet effects of the dramatic increase of older persons in the United States and throughout the world,” said Carl Eisdorfer, Ph.D., M.D., Director of the University of Miami Center on Aging. “Our emphasis is on enhancing the ability of older people to have a positive influence on their own lives and that of their community.”

According to Census data, approximately 35 million Americans are 65 or older. In the next few decades, the number of people over 65 in the United States is expected to double as people are living longer and baby boomers will advance in age.

“The growing aging population will have a profound impact on society, especially when it comes to healthcare,” said Joseph M. Feczko, M.D., President, Worldwide Development, and Executive Vice President of Pfizer Global Research and Development. “Pfizer shares the University of Miami’s commitment to improving the health and wellness of older Americans and we are proud to contribute to their efforts.”

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...