Elsewhere – U. Florida groups host ‘awareness’ barbecue in PETA parody

(U-WIRE) GAINESVILLE, Fla.-Hungry University of Florida students ate more than 100 pounds of meat in less than two hours at Tuesday’s People Enjoying Tasty Animals, or PETA, Barbeque.

The barbeque, which was hosted by UF’s College Republicans, was held to “raise awareness about the extreme efforts utilized by the PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) organization and demonstrate that the consumption of meat is not inhumane,” according to a release.

The event took place at the Alpha Gamma Rho Fraternity house, where visitors snacked on beef, pork, venison and bratwurst.

Ashley Black, secretary of the UF College Republicans, said she wanted the event to help people recognize the “extreme” views of PETA.

“A lot of people are joining it because of its nice person appeal, but it’s not nice at all. It’s a bunch of extremists,” Black said.

Hunter Williams, chairman of the College Republicans, said no complaints about the event were received.

Instead, a letter was sent from PETA to the College Republicans thanking them for holding the event.

The letter read, “Parody is the most sincere form of flattery. Thanks for honoring us with your event.”

The event, which was open to the public, brought in a variety of UF students and other members of the Gainesville community.

“We didn’t expect anything like this,” Black said. “We thought 100 pounds of meat would be enough for two hours but we ended up having to make two trips to get more.”

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...