Elsewhere – U. Florida groups host ‘awareness’ barbecue in PETA parody

(U-WIRE) GAINESVILLE, Fla.-Hungry University of Florida students ate more than 100 pounds of meat in less than two hours at Tuesday’s People Enjoying Tasty Animals, or PETA, Barbeque.

The barbeque, which was hosted by UF’s College Republicans, was held to “raise awareness about the extreme efforts utilized by the PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) organization and demonstrate that the consumption of meat is not inhumane,” according to a release.

The event took place at the Alpha Gamma Rho Fraternity house, where visitors snacked on beef, pork, venison and bratwurst.

Ashley Black, secretary of the UF College Republicans, said she wanted the event to help people recognize the “extreme” views of PETA.

“A lot of people are joining it because of its nice person appeal, but it’s not nice at all. It’s a bunch of extremists,” Black said.

Hunter Williams, chairman of the College Republicans, said no complaints about the event were received.

Instead, a letter was sent from PETA to the College Republicans thanking them for holding the event.

The letter read, “Parody is the most sincere form of flattery. Thanks for honoring us with your event.”

The event, which was open to the public, brought in a variety of UF students and other members of the Gainesville community.

“We didn’t expect anything like this,” Black said. “We thought 100 pounds of meat would be enough for two hours but we ended up having to make two trips to get more.”

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...