UMNEWS – Musical instrument to make its U.S. debut at UM

The University of Miami’s Frost School of Music will be hosting musical instrument maker Francois Louis as he demonstrates his new instrument, the Aulochrome, on Monday, March 21 in Fillmore Hall.

The Aulochrome is a new polyphonic and chromatic woodwind instrument. It resembles two soprano saxophone bodies and uses a revolutionary mechanism, allowing the keys of both pipes to be played either separately or together over the entire range. Any possible interval can be played chromatically from the lowest note of one pipe to the highest note of the other pipe. This creates new tone effects by totally acoustic means and offers the possibility of playing contrapuntal lines.

There is only one Aulochrome in existence-the March demonstration at UM marks the first appearance of the prototype in the United States.

Mr. Louis has been designing saxophone mouthpieces, reeds, and flute headjoints since 1980 and has worked with renowned saxophonists, including Joe Lovano, Bob Berg and Ronnie Cuber. He began work on the prototype for the new instrument in 1999 and completed it in October of 2002. The Aulochrome debuted in Europe in 2002 at Maison de Radio France.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ If N’Kosi Perry starts against North Carolina — as ma ...

Want a hot topic at the University of Miami? Quarterbacks. Want a hot unit? Defense. While Hurricane ...

The quarterback topic never gets old at the University of Miami, especially this week, when Hurrican ...

Mark Richt did what many of us expected Tuesday morning at the University of Miami’s Greentree Field ...

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Canes have not named a starting quarterback for Thursday's game vs. UNC, but they know they ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

View some of the top images from Estela Perez-Somarriba's Oracle ITA Masters title match victor ...

Lucia Marzal Martinez of the Miami women's tennis team competed as an amateur Tuesday in the Hi ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...