UMNEWS – Musical instrument to make its U.S. debut at UM

The University of Miami’s Frost School of Music will be hosting musical instrument maker Francois Louis as he demonstrates his new instrument, the Aulochrome, on Monday, March 21 in Fillmore Hall.

The Aulochrome is a new polyphonic and chromatic woodwind instrument. It resembles two soprano saxophone bodies and uses a revolutionary mechanism, allowing the keys of both pipes to be played either separately or together over the entire range. Any possible interval can be played chromatically from the lowest note of one pipe to the highest note of the other pipe. This creates new tone effects by totally acoustic means and offers the possibility of playing contrapuntal lines.

There is only one Aulochrome in existence-the March demonstration at UM marks the first appearance of the prototype in the United States.

Mr. Louis has been designing saxophone mouthpieces, reeds, and flute headjoints since 1980 and has worked with renowned saxophonists, including Joe Lovano, Bob Berg and Ronnie Cuber. He began work on the prototype for the new instrument in 1999 and completed it in October of 2002. The Aulochrome debuted in Europe in 2002 at Maison de Radio France.

New and returning students share some of their expectations for the semester on the first day of cla ...

Nearly 100 University of Miami students participated in Orientation Outreach to assist the staff at ...

Take a look back on new student orientation and browse through a gallery of photos from various even ...

Father, mother, and daughter will all be students at the University of Miami this fall semester. ...

UM weather expert and senior research associate Brian McNoldy explains the science behind lightning ...

Jeff Thomas is eager to get back on the field for the Hurricanes. ...

Miami's defensive tackles have traditionally been some of the Hurricanes' best players, wh ...

On the final night of its trip abroad, the Miami men's basketball team defeated LCC Internation ...

Sophomores Brevin Jordan and Will Mallory look to follow in the footsteps of the greats before them ...

Jarren Williams stepped into the spotlight for the first time Tuesday as Miami's starting quart ...