UMNEWS – Musical instrument to make its U.S. debut at UM

The University of Miami’s Frost School of Music will be hosting musical instrument maker Francois Louis as he demonstrates his new instrument, the Aulochrome, on Monday, March 21 in Fillmore Hall.

The Aulochrome is a new polyphonic and chromatic woodwind instrument. It resembles two soprano saxophone bodies and uses a revolutionary mechanism, allowing the keys of both pipes to be played either separately or together over the entire range. Any possible interval can be played chromatically from the lowest note of one pipe to the highest note of the other pipe. This creates new tone effects by totally acoustic means and offers the possibility of playing contrapuntal lines.

There is only one Aulochrome in existence-the March demonstration at UM marks the first appearance of the prototype in the United States.

Mr. Louis has been designing saxophone mouthpieces, reeds, and flute headjoints since 1980 and has worked with renowned saxophonists, including Joe Lovano, Bob Berg and Ronnie Cuber. He began work on the prototype for the new instrument in 1999 and completed it in October of 2002. The Aulochrome debuted in Europe in 2002 at Maison de Radio France.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ You know when you will know the Hurricanes are really bac ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

The 2019 NFL draft begins tonight from Nashville, Tennessee, and continues through Saturday with sev ...

The final concrete slabs for the 25 interconnected buildings of the newly named Lakeside Village are ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team won ACC Player of the Year for the seco ...

Sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera earned second team accolades for the second straight season, while f ...

Miami and adidas today unveiled the first-ever baseball jerseys made from Parley Ocean Plastic. ...

Michael Amditis tied a career-high with three hits and a homer to help the #24 Canes sweep FIU. ...

Miami earns sixth seed in Cle Elum Regional, hosted by the University of Washington. ...