Tempers and winds flare as ‘Canes beat Florida A&M

The winning ways of the 53rd-ranked University of Miami men’s tennis team continued this weekend with two victories over in-state rivals Central Florida and Florida A&M.

The Hurricanes are currently on a six-game winning streak and have improved to 7-1 on the season.

Entering the weekend having won four straight matches, the ‘Canes opened Friday with a sweep of Central Florida and closed out Sunday with a “scary win” against FAMU 6-1.

Those were the words of Head Coach Mario Rincon, who felt that along with the heavy winds on Sunday the Rattlers came ready to play.

“This was a difficult match to say the least,” Rincon said. “They played well and didn’t give us anything.”

On Friday, the Hurricanes’ sweep of UCF was highlighted by stellar doubles play, which resulted in wins of all but one match.

Junior Tim Krebs and his partner in crime Vivek Subramanian stole a victory from Central Florida’s Sebastian Delgado and Ener Gursoy tandem 9-8 (8-6).

Krebs and Subramanian returned to claim straight set victories in both their singles matches from the No. 1 and No. 5 positions, respectively. Krebs outlasted Gursoy for a 6-4, 7-6 win as Subramanian downed Sudas 6-3, 7-6.

No. 54 Josh Cohen defeated Antonio Sierra 6-1, 6-2 in second singles as doubles partner Eric Hechtman topped Delgado 6-3, 6-4 from the third singles slot. Junior John Hoyes crushed Joel Allen 6-4, 6-4 in fourth singles while Waits took a 6-3, 6-4 win over Rhett Rosen in sixth singles.

Sunday’s match didn’t come as easily as Friday’s for the Hurricanes.

Wind gusts of 30 m.p.h. and, as Assistant Coach Jason Cook said, lackadaisical play wreaked havoc on game strategy.

“It was brutal out there. You couldn’t get any kind of rhythm going at all,” Subramanian said.

Subramanian had a rousing singles victory in which he rebounded from a 6-3 deficit to defeat Clifford Malivert with a 7-6 (8), 6-1 performance in the final two sets.

Tempers flared during the John Hoyes/Frank Green match up. Hoyes became flustered when a pair of FAMU players began heckling him after a missed volley.

“Hey, you shut up!” Hoyes retaliated.

There were little flair-ups throughout the entire match, which culminated in the Hoyes lash out.

“That’s what happens when you play the Rattlers,” Cohen said.

Cohen downed Pfungwa Mahefeu 6-4, 6-3 in No. 1 singles. The wind didn’t seem to phase Cohen as he methodically picked apart his opponent on Court One.

Eric Hechtman defeated Zurab Zhavania 6-1, 6-3 from the No. 2 position.

Senior Luis Manrique and junior John Hoyes toppled Green and Malivert 8-5 to clinch the doubles point.

The ‘Canes continue their home stand next Sunday with their first conference match up against the Hokies of Virginia Tech beginning at 1 p.m.

Larry Nolan can be contacted at l.Nolan@umiami.edu.

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

Miami redshirt senior quarterback Malik Rosier was named to the preseason watch list for the Manning ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews revealed Thursday the team's schedule ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...