Tempers and winds flare as ‘Canes beat Florida A&M

The winning ways of the 53rd-ranked University of Miami men’s tennis team continued this weekend with two victories over in-state rivals Central Florida and Florida A&M.

The Hurricanes are currently on a six-game winning streak and have improved to 7-1 on the season.

Entering the weekend having won four straight matches, the ‘Canes opened Friday with a sweep of Central Florida and closed out Sunday with a “scary win” against FAMU 6-1.

Those were the words of Head Coach Mario Rincon, who felt that along with the heavy winds on Sunday the Rattlers came ready to play.

“This was a difficult match to say the least,” Rincon said. “They played well and didn’t give us anything.”

On Friday, the Hurricanes’ sweep of UCF was highlighted by stellar doubles play, which resulted in wins of all but one match.

Junior Tim Krebs and his partner in crime Vivek Subramanian stole a victory from Central Florida’s Sebastian Delgado and Ener Gursoy tandem 9-8 (8-6).

Krebs and Subramanian returned to claim straight set victories in both their singles matches from the No. 1 and No. 5 positions, respectively. Krebs outlasted Gursoy for a 6-4, 7-6 win as Subramanian downed Sudas 6-3, 7-6.

No. 54 Josh Cohen defeated Antonio Sierra 6-1, 6-2 in second singles as doubles partner Eric Hechtman topped Delgado 6-3, 6-4 from the third singles slot. Junior John Hoyes crushed Joel Allen 6-4, 6-4 in fourth singles while Waits took a 6-3, 6-4 win over Rhett Rosen in sixth singles.

Sunday’s match didn’t come as easily as Friday’s for the Hurricanes.

Wind gusts of 30 m.p.h. and, as Assistant Coach Jason Cook said, lackadaisical play wreaked havoc on game strategy.

“It was brutal out there. You couldn’t get any kind of rhythm going at all,” Subramanian said.

Subramanian had a rousing singles victory in which he rebounded from a 6-3 deficit to defeat Clifford Malivert with a 7-6 (8), 6-1 performance in the final two sets.

Tempers flared during the John Hoyes/Frank Green match up. Hoyes became flustered when a pair of FAMU players began heckling him after a missed volley.

“Hey, you shut up!” Hoyes retaliated.

There were little flair-ups throughout the entire match, which culminated in the Hoyes lash out.

“That’s what happens when you play the Rattlers,” Cohen said.

Cohen downed Pfungwa Mahefeu 6-4, 6-3 in No. 1 singles. The wind didn’t seem to phase Cohen as he methodically picked apart his opponent on Court One.

Eric Hechtman defeated Zurab Zhavania 6-1, 6-3 from the No. 2 position.

Senior Luis Manrique and junior John Hoyes toppled Green and Malivert 8-5 to clinch the doubles point.

The ‘Canes continue their home stand next Sunday with their first conference match up against the Hokies of Virginia Tech beginning at 1 p.m.

Larry Nolan can be contacted at l.Nolan@umiami.edu.

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...