LETTER TO THE EDITOR

Re: “Tips on how to overhaul SG Senate,” 2/25

Donald Trump isn’t the CEO of UM SG Senate, Inc., and while Don Donelson may be trying to imitate his demeanor, I would suggest he take a closer look at “unique demographic” constituencies before he tosses them out as examples of groups causing inefficiency in Student Government.

Yes, I would agree some constituents are double represented, for example there are seven Commuter Senators as well as an Association of Commuter Students Senator, so it could easily be argued that they have highly similar goals and constituents. Although, given the number of commuter students to be represented this still seems fair.

However using SpectrUM as an example of this double representation was a very poor choice.

While there may “be a few GBLT students in the School of Business”, this does not mean that a School of Business Senator could or would represent their needs and demands. If GLBT students live in the dorms, similarly this does not mean that a residential senator would represent them either.

Donelson asks, “Why isn’t it good enough that those students be represented by the Senators elected from the more broad constituencies?”

The simple answer is because “those” students will not be represented by their constituent senators. Quite simply, GLBT students do not have the voting power to be recognized by a broader constituency senator running for election or one already seated. If these particular senators wish to support or initiate assistance to the GLBT community, they do so upon their own volition, and cannot be relied upon for such assistance.

I hope that Donelson, and others, realize that a senator elected from a broad constituency cannot promise to uphold the rights and needs of our GLBT community, which is important to ensuring the protection of diversity on campus.

Sincerely,

Amy S. Lawrence

SpectrUM Senate Representative

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...