LETTER TO THE EDITOR

Re: “Tips on how to overhaul SG Senate,” 2/25

Donald Trump isn’t the CEO of UM SG Senate, Inc., and while Don Donelson may be trying to imitate his demeanor, I would suggest he take a closer look at “unique demographic” constituencies before he tosses them out as examples of groups causing inefficiency in Student Government.

Yes, I would agree some constituents are double represented, for example there are seven Commuter Senators as well as an Association of Commuter Students Senator, so it could easily be argued that they have highly similar goals and constituents. Although, given the number of commuter students to be represented this still seems fair.

However using SpectrUM as an example of this double representation was a very poor choice.

While there may “be a few GBLT students in the School of Business”, this does not mean that a School of Business Senator could or would represent their needs and demands. If GLBT students live in the dorms, similarly this does not mean that a residential senator would represent them either.

Donelson asks, “Why isn’t it good enough that those students be represented by the Senators elected from the more broad constituencies?”

The simple answer is because “those” students will not be represented by their constituent senators. Quite simply, GLBT students do not have the voting power to be recognized by a broader constituency senator running for election or one already seated. If these particular senators wish to support or initiate assistance to the GLBT community, they do so upon their own volition, and cannot be relied upon for such assistance.

I hope that Donelson, and others, realize that a senator elected from a broad constituency cannot promise to uphold the rights and needs of our GLBT community, which is important to ensuring the protection of diversity on campus.

Sincerely,

Amy S. Lawrence

SpectrUM Senate Representative

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The Miami Hurricanes football coaching staff is officially complete. UM announced Friday that Taylor ...

The Marlins — along with a handful of other teams — haven’t signed a single player from another team ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...

Check out the January edition of the University of Miami's e-magazine. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team improved to 2-0 on the young season after securing a ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team will play its first doubleheader of the season Saturday in ...