LETTER TO THE EDITOR

Re: “Tips on how to overhaul SG Senate,” 2/25

Donald Trump isn’t the CEO of UM SG Senate, Inc., and while Don Donelson may be trying to imitate his demeanor, I would suggest he take a closer look at “unique demographic” constituencies before he tosses them out as examples of groups causing inefficiency in Student Government.

Yes, I would agree some constituents are double represented, for example there are seven Commuter Senators as well as an Association of Commuter Students Senator, so it could easily be argued that they have highly similar goals and constituents. Although, given the number of commuter students to be represented this still seems fair.

However using SpectrUM as an example of this double representation was a very poor choice.

While there may “be a few GBLT students in the School of Business”, this does not mean that a School of Business Senator could or would represent their needs and demands. If GLBT students live in the dorms, similarly this does not mean that a residential senator would represent them either.

Donelson asks, “Why isn’t it good enough that those students be represented by the Senators elected from the more broad constituencies?”

The simple answer is because “those” students will not be represented by their constituent senators. Quite simply, GLBT students do not have the voting power to be recognized by a broader constituency senator running for election or one already seated. If these particular senators wish to support or initiate assistance to the GLBT community, they do so upon their own volition, and cannot be relied upon for such assistance.

I hope that Donelson, and others, realize that a senator elected from a broad constituency cannot promise to uphold the rights and needs of our GLBT community, which is important to ensuring the protection of diversity on campus.

Sincerely,

Amy S. Lawrence

SpectrUM Senate Representative

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges, a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department, has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...

The Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection has given social scientists and psychologists another example to examine the behavior and actions of groups. ...

Some experts believe that pent-up demand will push the economy into a rebound after the majority of the U.S. population receives the COVID-19 vaccine. ...

All students are required to test negative for COVID-19 before attending any in-person classes, programs, or work shifts on any University of Miami campus. With the start of classes Monday, here is the critical information students need to know. ...