JD Natasha rocks the world of Latin music

The Latin music world is about to get rocked-and 16-year-old JD Natasha is standing center stage. Leaving at home the congas and tambores, this new artist brings something a little more unconventional: a dirty, distorted guitar and teenage honesty.

Donning a punk rock attitude laced with chic style and startling maturity, Natasha finds herself bridging a gap between American and Latin culture, much like Shakira did years ago.

But it was bound to happen again. In an industry dominated by the ballads of amor and the pulse of meregenue and salsa, Natasha says she couldn’t help but do something a little off-center.

“[My music] is different from everything in the Latin market because a lot of people think inside the box,” says the bilingual rocker, who is a native of Miami. “But I can’t work with rules.”

So she decided to bend them, playing harder rock songs in Spanish and English with a chameleon-like voice that demanded attention-and she got it.

In a year, she scored a record deal on EMI Latin, performed worldwide, and on July 13 released her debut album Imperfect/Imperfecta, named by the famed Emilio Estefan as one of the best albums in 2004.

Her journey to began when she was born Natasha Due

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

While the University of Miami awaits what quarterback it will get Feb. 6 on National Signing Day, ne ...

It appears the University of Miami football program has found its answer to intelligent, energetic, ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up play on its first weekend of competition Sunday ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play at the Miami Spring Invite Sunday, wi ...

Chris Lykes scored 25 points as Miami got past Wake Forest. ...