JD Natasha rocks the world of Latin music

The Latin music world is about to get rocked-and 16-year-old JD Natasha is standing center stage. Leaving at home the congas and tambores, this new artist brings something a little more unconventional: a dirty, distorted guitar and teenage honesty.

Donning a punk rock attitude laced with chic style and startling maturity, Natasha finds herself bridging a gap between American and Latin culture, much like Shakira did years ago.

But it was bound to happen again. In an industry dominated by the ballads of amor and the pulse of meregenue and salsa, Natasha says she couldn’t help but do something a little off-center.

“[My music] is different from everything in the Latin market because a lot of people think inside the box,” says the bilingual rocker, who is a native of Miami. “But I can’t work with rules.”

So she decided to bend them, playing harder rock songs in Spanish and English with a chameleon-like voice that demanded attention-and she got it.

In a year, she scored a record deal on EMI Latin, performed worldwide, and on July 13 released her debut album Imperfect/Imperfecta, named by the famed Emilio Estefan as one of the best albums in 2004.

Her journey to began when she was born Natasha Due

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship one of th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...