JD Natasha rocks the world of Latin music

The Latin music world is about to get rocked-and 16-year-old JD Natasha is standing center stage. Leaving at home the congas and tambores, this new artist brings something a little more unconventional: a dirty, distorted guitar and teenage honesty.

Donning a punk rock attitude laced with chic style and startling maturity, Natasha finds herself bridging a gap between American and Latin culture, much like Shakira did years ago.

But it was bound to happen again. In an industry dominated by the ballads of amor and the pulse of meregenue and salsa, Natasha says she couldn’t help but do something a little off-center.

“[My music] is different from everything in the Latin market because a lot of people think inside the box,” says the bilingual rocker, who is a native of Miami. “But I can’t work with rules.”

So she decided to bend them, playing harder rock songs in Spanish and English with a chameleon-like voice that demanded attention-and she got it.

In a year, she scored a record deal on EMI Latin, performed worldwide, and on July 13 released her debut album Imperfect/Imperfecta, named by the famed Emilio Estefan as one of the best albums in 2004.

Her journey to began when she was born Natasha Due

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...