Frisby proposes to girlfriend after loss

While most men’s basketball players will remember Saturday Feb. 26 as a forgetful day because of the Hurricanes’ 76-72 loss to Georgia Tech, senior forward Will Frisby likely considers it one of the best moments of his life.

In addition to being honored before tip-off as part of Senior Day, Frisby shocked everyone in the Convocation Center by proposing to his girlfriend, Cristina Cavallo, at mid-court immediately after the game.

As Frisby was popping the question, several fans in the student section held up signs that spelled out “Cristy, will you marry me?” When she started crying and said yes, a fan held up a sign that said “Yes,” and the remaining fans in attendance cheered loudly.

Frisby, a 23-year-old who will graduate this May, had four points and six rebounds in the loss. He has started 20 of the 25 games he’s appeared in, averaging 9.2 points and 6.5 rebounds on the season. Frisby clinched a 75-73 overtime victory over Maryland with two free throws with 0.8 seconds left on Feb. 5.

Neither Frisby nor Cavallo could be reached for comment after the game.

Brandon Okpalobi was also recognized before the game, being joined by his parents and siblings. Okpalobi walked on to the Hurricanes in 2000 and over the course of his five years emerged as a reliable back-up point guard. He did not score in 10 minutes of action against Georgia Tech.

Eric Kalis can be contacted at e.kalis@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...