Frisby proposes to girlfriend after loss

While most men’s basketball players will remember Saturday Feb. 26 as a forgetful day because of the Hurricanes’ 76-72 loss to Georgia Tech, senior forward Will Frisby likely considers it one of the best moments of his life.

In addition to being honored before tip-off as part of Senior Day, Frisby shocked everyone in the Convocation Center by proposing to his girlfriend, Cristina Cavallo, at mid-court immediately after the game.

As Frisby was popping the question, several fans in the student section held up signs that spelled out “Cristy, will you marry me?” When she started crying and said yes, a fan held up a sign that said “Yes,” and the remaining fans in attendance cheered loudly.

Frisby, a 23-year-old who will graduate this May, had four points and six rebounds in the loss. He has started 20 of the 25 games he’s appeared in, averaging 9.2 points and 6.5 rebounds on the season. Frisby clinched a 75-73 overtime victory over Maryland with two free throws with 0.8 seconds left on Feb. 5.

Neither Frisby nor Cavallo could be reached for comment after the game.

Brandon Okpalobi was also recognized before the game, being joined by his parents and siblings. Okpalobi walked on to the Hurricanes in 2000 and over the course of his five years emerged as a reliable back-up point guard. He did not score in 10 minutes of action against Georgia Tech.

Eric Kalis can be contacted at e.kalis@umiami.edu.

An online seminar sponsored by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas

The first presidential debate between President Donald J. Trump and former vice president and democr

As the Miami Hurricanes take on Florida State, University of Miami students are invited to a Friday-

Linguist Caleb Everett reminds us that the mind has yet to grasp the modern world’s explosion of mas