UMNEWS – UM names new director for the Center for Hemispheric Policy

Dr. Susan Kaufman Purcell has been named director of the new Center for Hemispheric Policy. Purcell lives in New York City where she has served as vice president of the Council of the Americas, a not-for-profit business organization, for the past 16 years.

“This is wonderful news for the University and is a significant milestone in our strategy to capitalize on our expertise as well as our location here in Miami,” said University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala. “We have found a first-rate leader for our new Center for Hemispheric Policy, especially with regard to Latin America and the Caribbean. Dr. Purcell will build a policy enterprise second to none.”

Purcell has more than 30 years of experience working within Latin America and the Caribbean. She has lived in Colombia, Ecuador, Mexico and Brazil.

Purcell will join UM in March and will begin re-structuring and hiring her staff, including an Associate Director who will help assemble interdisciplinary teams to address specific projects. Purcell plans to engage the University community as well as business leaders, elected officials and the Greater Miami community.

The Center for Hemispheric Policy-which replaces the North-South Center-will be examining the relationship of the United States within the hemisphere. Areas of interest will include economic development and trade, healthcare and medical research, environmental programs, education, infrastructure, politics and security.

An online seminar sponsored by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas

The first presidential debate between President Donald J. Trump and former vice president and democr

As the Miami Hurricanes take on Florida State, University of Miami students are invited to a Friday-

Linguist Caleb Everett reminds us that the mind has yet to grasp the modern world’s explosion of mas