Talented up-and-coming women’s tennis team unfairly overlooked

I am going to shock a lot of people. I am going to write a positive women’s sports column.

There is a women’s team demanding attention, and despite what some would claim, I am a women’s sports advocate. So, if you are a tennis fan or a women’s sports fan, I have something to tell you. The women’s tennis team just might be the best at the University of Miami.

Featuring the nation’s No. 2 player, Megan Bradley, this team is poised to make a national championship run.

Last season, the Hurricanes came very close to winning it all, getting all the way to the Elite Eight before falling to UCLA. This year, the team has a very good chance to be in the Final Four.

While other women’s teams have struggled with the move to the ACC, the women’s tennis team seems to have no trouble adjusting. The ‘Canes are 5-2 on the season, with four of their victories by a 7-0 margin.

The credit should go to Head Coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews, who is in her fourth season at UM. Yaroshuk-Tews has turned the Miami tennis program into one of the nation’s best. She recruited Bradley away from UCLA and Bradley has gotten better every season. She finished last season ranked fifth and had a 22-2 singles record.

Coach Yaroshuk-Tews has done a phenomenal job and has made the team one of the nation’s top programs.

Yaroshuk-Tews has also scored other recruits. Staci Stevens finished last season 22-10-she was a key to Miami’s run last season. It was Stevens’ win that clinched Miami’s Sweet 16 victory and moved it into the Elite Eight.

The team is full of younger talent as well.

Melissa Applebaum, a gifted junior who finished last season at No. 24 in singles play in the final ITA Southeast Region Rankings, paired with Bradley in doubles last season and was undefeated in the NCAA Tournament.

Sophomore Audrey Banada opened the season ranked eighth in doubles alongside Bradley in the ITA National Poll. The tandem finished the Fall season ranked second in the South Region. She was 31-2 last year overall.

Those four players plus freshmen Juliette Mayroleon and Patricia Starzyk, make this team is solid from top to bottom. Yaroshuk-Tews has done a phenomenal job with this program and has made the team one of the nation’s top programs. Since she has been at Miami, the men’s tennis team has gone through three different coaches.

While most people will never notice the team, I urge you to go out and watch the Hurricanes play one day. Whether you are a tennis fan or not, this team will be something special to watch. If you don’t go, you will be missing out on what could be a magical season.

Darren Grossman can be contacted at d.grossman@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...