Make it Maki

What a difference a year makes. When Pete Maki ran for Student Government last year, his “things that go bump in the night” ticket seemed too lighthearted and disorganized to be taken seriously. He has certainly made the turnaround to become a respectable candidate this election-and he has earned our endorsement for Student Government president.

In the past year, Maki has gained valuable SG Senate experience and has blossomed into a charismatic leader. While his experience may not compare to some other student leaders, he is approachable and practical, two very important characteristics in an SG president.

Maki’s platform is based on a foundation of practicality. Sometimes candidates unreasonably think that they can make changes like installing Jumbotrons in the UC or lowering tuition. Maki’s platform is made up of small, simple changes, and while even he admitted that he wasn’t “changing Social Security,” his plan is appealing and well rounded.

Maki has also done his research, an area in which his opponent, Pamela Schiess, is somewhat lacking. In his proposal to extend the shuttle service to the Key Biscayne beach, Maki knows how much it would cost per hour; in his proposal to extend study hours, he knows that keeping the library open would be unrealistic because they’d have to pay a certified librarian for those hours. This research extends beyond merely citing the people to contact for each project; Maki refers to other schools’ programs and issues that affect them. Taking this initiative shows a serious commitment to thinking beyond the obvious by looking both inside and outside of UM to accomplish his goals.

Maki’s idea to create a shuttle service to the beach reflects the wishes of the student body and, if feasible, should prove to be a community-building program. It is also in line with President Shalala’s goal of uniting the campus community.

Maki may be just the person to reach out to the uninvolved students and make them feel connected to the University. He wants to go around campus the first few weeks of school introducing himself to students. When we asked him why we should vote for him he may have joked about being a likable guy, but that’s incredibly important in a president. Students are going to vote for someone that they feel most represents them and their interests, someone who they can come to with ideas and concerns throughout the year.

On the other hand, Schiess speaks in very abstract and vague terms, often referring to her “vision of excellence” to move the University forward. While this sounds good, it’s more important to hear about her interests in what the students want, not what the University wants-because they can be two very different things.

Schiess considers her track record her main strength, which we find to be a problem. Anyone can boast about a lengthy r

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

The 2019 NFL draft begins tonight from Nashville, Tennessee, and continues through Saturday with sev ...

The final concrete slabs for the 25 interconnected buildings of the newly named Lakeside Village are ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team won ACC Player of the Year for the seco ...

Sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera earned second team accolades for the second straight season, while f ...

Miami and adidas today unveiled the first-ever baseball jerseys made from Parley Ocean Plastic. ...

Michael Amditis tied a career-high with three hits and a homer to help the #24 Canes sweep FIU. ...

Miami earns sixth seed in Cle Elum Regional, hosted by the University of Washington. ...