LETTER TO THE EDITOR

Re: “To the new Rock 93.1: You’re my hero!”, 2/22

Shameful what some will do for a story!

As a UM alum and Miami native I feel it’s my obligation to make sure you understand that there is only one radio station worth listening to in South Florida.

The Voice, WVUM.

For a Hurricane writer to go out on the prowl for other-than-mainstream listening and fail to mention The Voice is incomprehensible.

For years WVUM operated at 365 watts (the old saying was 1 rock-solid watt for every day of the year). It was and still is a collection of oddball volunteer DJs, playing music that you simply wouldn’t hear anywhere else.

Isn’t that what you want from radio-a surprise?

If you want your daily dose of the pre-chewed ’90s, and you’re happy with robots program directors and screaming car lot commercials…that’s cool too. I’ve seen modern rock slide all the way down the dial. When 93 Rock hits the skids Miami’s only rock choice may be The Voice, 90.5 FM! Somewhere between NPR and the Bible thumpers, WVUM is looking forward and has been kicking out real rock with real rock-n-roll DJs for decades. Certainly worth a mention anytime you write about radio.

Don’t get me started,

Dan Hardie

Alum

PS: ‘Canes often overlook the great things campus has to offer. WVUM has always got the cold shoulder from the pop-happy masses, but the Lowe Art Museum and Ring Theater, the Beaumont Cinema and the incredible libraries-not to mention the exquisite campus itself deserve more attention & appreciation.

PPS: If I sound like an old fart, it’s because I am. So old in fact that I can refer to the Cosford Cinema as the Beaumont and never miss a beat. That’s old Minkus. Now listen to The Voice and go write an article about that gem, you hippie.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...