LETTER TO THE EDITOR

Re: “To the new Rock 93.1: You’re my hero!”, 2/22

Shameful what some will do for a story!

As a UM alum and Miami native I feel it’s my obligation to make sure you understand that there is only one radio station worth listening to in South Florida.

The Voice, WVUM.

For a Hurricane writer to go out on the prowl for other-than-mainstream listening and fail to mention The Voice is incomprehensible.

For years WVUM operated at 365 watts (the old saying was 1 rock-solid watt for every day of the year). It was and still is a collection of oddball volunteer DJs, playing music that you simply wouldn’t hear anywhere else.

Isn’t that what you want from radio-a surprise?

If you want your daily dose of the pre-chewed ’90s, and you’re happy with robots program directors and screaming car lot commercials…that’s cool too. I’ve seen modern rock slide all the way down the dial. When 93 Rock hits the skids Miami’s only rock choice may be The Voice, 90.5 FM! Somewhere between NPR and the Bible thumpers, WVUM is looking forward and has been kicking out real rock with real rock-n-roll DJs for decades. Certainly worth a mention anytime you write about radio.

Don’t get me started,

Dan Hardie

Alum

PS: ‘Canes often overlook the great things campus has to offer. WVUM has always got the cold shoulder from the pop-happy masses, but the Lowe Art Museum and Ring Theater, the Beaumont Cinema and the incredible libraries-not to mention the exquisite campus itself deserve more attention & appreciation.

PPS: If I sound like an old fart, it’s because I am. So old in fact that I can refer to the Cosford Cinema as the Beaumont and never miss a beat. That’s old Minkus. Now listen to The Voice and go write an article about that gem, you hippie.

The early signing period is right around the corner and the Miami Hurricanes have plenty of work to ...

We examined where UM stands with defensive recruiting, by position, in this piece. Here’s a look at ...

Lakeland, for the most part, has always been Florida Gators country. Florida has been able to rely o ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz is receiving strong consideration for the head ...

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...