Homesick? How to move forward

I am really homesick. I live on the other side of the country, and I really miss my family. I like UM a lot, but I have thought about transferring to be closer to them. Whenever I talk to my mom, I want to cry because I miss her so much.

Homesick

Dear Reader,

Have you ever heard the saying that friends are your chosen family? Because I think that you ought to make that saying your mantra. Have you tried to surround yourself with people or immerse yourself in activities? Finding things to do with your time might take the edge off missing your folks.

Luckily enough, you’re not completely obligated to spend four years of your life at UM. You are allowed to leave and transfer to different schools. No one will point a gun at your head. But, think about the hassle and $$$ that it will cost you to transfer to a school that is closer to home. Will they accept your credits? Do you think that moving close to home will fill that void? I’m really not so sure.

Undoubtedly, I think that you are lonely, and that you’ve used your family as your scapegoat; denial blows. It’s time to put it all in perspective. You’re in college and you’re old enough to know that your parents aren’t going to be around forever. While it’s great to savor your time with them (just like you have to make every moment of time in this life count) you can’t cling to their legs forever. Trust me, you will survive. You just need to put in a little effort.

Best of Luck,

V.

I have a crush on this guy that I don’t know. I’ve met him a few times and he’s my roommates’ boyfriend’s friend, but I don’t know how I can get closer to him. I feel like if I tell my roommate, I risk her blabbering away my love to my crush. How can I get to know him without the whole world knowing my business at the same time?

Private Dancer

Dear Reader,

I love questions like yours! They make me feel like I might be sane even if I do picture myself marrying each guy who passes me on the street. Whoa, confession. But, anyway, I think you need to test your roommates’ savvy nature; try dropping hints about your crush when you’re conversing with her. Drop his name a bit, and ask her indirect questions about him (

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...