Elsewhere – Administration pulls ‘Love’ posters at Princeton

(U-WIRE) PRINCETON, N.J.-Three days after the Pride Alliance posted 1,000 gay-themed Valentine’s Day fliers across the Princeton University campus, the complaints of a few students prompted Assistant Dean of Undergraduate Students Thomas Dunne to order the posters’ removal from public spaces.

The posters showed same-sex couples kissing under the slogan “Love=Love” and were meant to “raise awareness that LGBT love is one kind of love,” Pride Alliance President Claire Woo said.

Among the students who filed complaints was John Andrews, who noted in an e-mail to Dunne that the lack of attribution on the posters violated school policy.

Although the posters did not print the name of the group that sponsored the campaign, the Pride Alliance took the credit on its Web site and in interviews with The Daily Princetonian.

“I agree this is a close reading of [school policy]but the students filing complaints argued that the posters are anonymous to those who encounter them on campus,” Dunne said in an email. “I obviously would support the posting of these signs if the Pride Alliance submitted a similar poster with attribution.”

Pride Alliance members expressed disappointment with the posters’ removal, but agreed that they should have included attribution. “Rules are rules,” Pride Alliance Publicity Chair Lispeth Nutt said. “I can’t blame [Andrews] for being clever. It’s a technicality, a technicality that he wants to use for another end.”

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...