Coach’s Corner

The appendicitis seemed to happen so suddenly, although reports said you weren’t feeling well during the week. When did you realize that something was unusually wrong?

Thursday morning is when I felt something was wrong. I wasn’t feeling well on Wednesday, but not really thinking anything of it. By Thursday, there was a lot of discomfort so I went to the doctor.

You managed to make it to the game Saturday despite having surgery less than 48 hours beforehand. Why was it so necessary for you to be at Virginia Tech?

I wanted to be there for my team. It was an important game and I felt like I needed to be there to give support and help us.

Do you think the rest of the league underestimated how much success Miami and Virginia Tech could have right away? Why were expectations so low during the preseason for both teams?

I can only speak for Miami, and I understood why we were picked last. We had lost so much in terms of our personnel and had not competed well in the Big East the previous year.

After losing to Virginia Tech twice, do you think the Hokies presented match-up problems for your team? What were the main reasons for the losses?

No, we just did not play very well. It was the first ACC game where I felt we did not play with enough intensity.

What player or players would you say is the unsung hero of the team this year? Is there someone who stepped up to a new level unexpectedly this season?

The two Anthonys (King and Harris) have both proven they can play in this league after not playing much last season. Their roles have changed drastically from last season and they have stepped it up.

Send any questions for Coach Haith to e.kails@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami’s Cuban Heritage Collection will host its third New Directions in Cuban Stud ...

The University of Miami is naming its business school in honor of Patti and Allan Herbert for their ...

Lucha Latina celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month by highlighting Central American culture. ...

The Frost School of Music’s Valerie Coleman, who heads to Carnegie Hall tonight with the Philadelphi ...

Engineering students at the University of Miami combine inventive materials with a new construction ...

Keith Stone had a bevy of options to pick from when deciding where to spend his final year as a coll ...

University of Miami junior cornerback Trajan Bandy was named ACC Defensive Back of the Week after a ...

Shannon McCarthy and BIIK Kazygurt are set to face off against FC Bayern Munich in the UEFA Champion ...

The Hurricanes got a much-needed conference win Friday night over Virginia. Now Miami looks to build ...

Kristina Fisher registers her 17th career assist to move into second on the program's all-time ...