Coach’s Corner

The appendicitis seemed to happen so suddenly, although reports said you weren’t feeling well during the week. When did you realize that something was unusually wrong?

Thursday morning is when I felt something was wrong. I wasn’t feeling well on Wednesday, but not really thinking anything of it. By Thursday, there was a lot of discomfort so I went to the doctor.

You managed to make it to the game Saturday despite having surgery less than 48 hours beforehand. Why was it so necessary for you to be at Virginia Tech?

I wanted to be there for my team. It was an important game and I felt like I needed to be there to give support and help us.

Do you think the rest of the league underestimated how much success Miami and Virginia Tech could have right away? Why were expectations so low during the preseason for both teams?

I can only speak for Miami, and I understood why we were picked last. We had lost so much in terms of our personnel and had not competed well in the Big East the previous year.

After losing to Virginia Tech twice, do you think the Hokies presented match-up problems for your team? What were the main reasons for the losses?

No, we just did not play very well. It was the first ACC game where I felt we did not play with enough intensity.

What player or players would you say is the unsung hero of the team this year? Is there someone who stepped up to a new level unexpectedly this season?

The two Anthonys (King and Harris) have both proven they can play in this league after not playing much last season. Their roles have changed drastically from last season and they have stepped it up.

Send any questions for Coach Haith to e.kails@umiami.edu.

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

University of Miami student Kayla Crews has always been fascinated with Japan and its culture. Parti ...

School of Communication senior Leah Brown attended Cannes Lions Festival, one of the largest annual ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...