Choose your candidate

THE “Teal SHIRT” people

Pete Maki
Power. Pride. Change.

Major: Political science, Psychology

Year: First-semester senior

Running mates: VP – Paula Georg

Treasurer – Ciara Mohamed

Leadership Experience: Current SG Senior Senator; President, Sigma Chi; Chair, Association of Greek Letter Organizations; Chair, Counseling Outreach and Peer Education; Cofounder, College Republicans

Platforms:

Shuttle service to Key Biscayne – Saturday and Sunday service from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Business cards for all students – Students receive

business cards based on attendance to Toppel Career Center seminars

Late night study space – Provide students with

alternative study areas because the library closes

by midnight or 1 a.m.; Maki has determined through

research that keeping the library open would require

certified librarian on duty

Free towel service at the Wellness Center – Students will not have to pay current $1.00 fee each time they use the service

Off-campus ‘Cane Card – A different plan from previous attempts to extend ‘Cane Express services; this will allow the ‘Cane Card to be used as a debit card connected to a student’s bank account

Extend Ibis Ride Shuttle Service – Add Dickinson Drive and fraternity row shuttle stops

Laundry accommodations – Free laundry service will be implemented Fall 2005, and to avoid backups, Maki will promote stackable machines in laundry rooms

Wireless printing in library-Students using laptops can print directly from their computers to expedite the printing process

Quotable QUOTES:

“It’s less about what the candidates promise you but how far they will go for you.”

Why you should vote for me:

“I think I am the best person for the job. I’ve had a very diverse experience at UM. I feel like I have done so much in this University. I feel like myself and my ticket will be one of the best.”

THE “RED SHIRT” people

Pamela Schiess
Keeping the MomentUM…

Moving Toward Excellence

Major : Broadcast Journalism, Political Science

Year: Junior

Running mates: VP – Aaron Brunner;

Treasurer – Gabriel Trujillo

Leadership Experience: Current SG School of Communication Senator; current Director, Get Out the Vote; current Coordinator, “Cane for a Day”; UM Ambassador; Coordinator, Orientation 2005

Platforms:

24-hour study space – Keep first floor of library open 24 hours to facilitate more convenient study locations for students

Wall Street Journal and New York Times in dining halls – Students will have easier access to these publications since they are required reading for many classes

Extended Weekend Ibis Ride – To give students more time at Coconut Grove on the weekends and relieve crowding at shuttle stops, Schiess will extend shuttle service by one hour

More nutritional food in convenience store – Because many students depend on the C-store for snacks, students will have more healthy food choices available to them

Credit card machine in C-Store – If pilot program works in C-Store, Schiess will explore possibility of implementing credit card machines in Food Court.

‘Cane Card-compatible vending machines – Have all vending machines on campus accept ‘Cane Cards and ensure that all existing ‘Cane Card-compatible machines are in service

Support the WVUM referendum – Acknowledge the services that WVUM provides to the University and support an allocation of funds to help it improve its equipment

Quotable Quotes:

“I stand out because I have a really good track record. I really believe in the University. When it comes to building relationships with students and making them have a sense of ownership on campus, I think I can do that.”

Why you should vote for me:

“I have a lot of experience and I’m ready to take on this role. I really know and have grasped the vision of this school.”

Megha Garg can be contacted at m.garg2@umiami.edu. Natalia Maldonado can be contacted at n.maldonado@umiami.

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...