Choose your candidate

THE “Teal SHIRT” people

Pete Maki
Power. Pride. Change.

Major: Political science, Psychology

Year: First-semester senior

Running mates: VP – Paula Georg

Treasurer – Ciara Mohamed

Leadership Experience: Current SG Senior Senator; President, Sigma Chi; Chair, Association of Greek Letter Organizations; Chair, Counseling Outreach and Peer Education; Cofounder, College Republicans

Platforms:

Shuttle service to Key Biscayne – Saturday and Sunday service from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Business cards for all students – Students receive

business cards based on attendance to Toppel Career Center seminars

Late night study space – Provide students with

alternative study areas because the library closes

by midnight or 1 a.m.; Maki has determined through

research that keeping the library open would require

certified librarian on duty

Free towel service at the Wellness Center – Students will not have to pay current $1.00 fee each time they use the service

Off-campus ‘Cane Card – A different plan from previous attempts to extend ‘Cane Express services; this will allow the ‘Cane Card to be used as a debit card connected to a student’s bank account

Extend Ibis Ride Shuttle Service – Add Dickinson Drive and fraternity row shuttle stops

Laundry accommodations – Free laundry service will be implemented Fall 2005, and to avoid backups, Maki will promote stackable machines in laundry rooms

Wireless printing in library-Students using laptops can print directly from their computers to expedite the printing process

Quotable QUOTES:

“It’s less about what the candidates promise you but how far they will go for you.”

Why you should vote for me:

“I think I am the best person for the job. I’ve had a very diverse experience at UM. I feel like I have done so much in this University. I feel like myself and my ticket will be one of the best.”

THE “RED SHIRT” people

Pamela Schiess
Keeping the MomentUM…

Moving Toward Excellence

Major : Broadcast Journalism, Political Science

Year: Junior

Running mates: VP – Aaron Brunner;

Treasurer – Gabriel Trujillo

Leadership Experience: Current SG School of Communication Senator; current Director, Get Out the Vote; current Coordinator, “Cane for a Day”; UM Ambassador; Coordinator, Orientation 2005

Platforms:

24-hour study space – Keep first floor of library open 24 hours to facilitate more convenient study locations for students

Wall Street Journal and New York Times in dining halls – Students will have easier access to these publications since they are required reading for many classes

Extended Weekend Ibis Ride – To give students more time at Coconut Grove on the weekends and relieve crowding at shuttle stops, Schiess will extend shuttle service by one hour

More nutritional food in convenience store – Because many students depend on the C-store for snacks, students will have more healthy food choices available to them

Credit card machine in C-Store – If pilot program works in C-Store, Schiess will explore possibility of implementing credit card machines in Food Court.

‘Cane Card-compatible vending machines – Have all vending machines on campus accept ‘Cane Cards and ensure that all existing ‘Cane Card-compatible machines are in service

Support the WVUM referendum – Acknowledge the services that WVUM provides to the University and support an allocation of funds to help it improve its equipment

Quotable Quotes:

“I stand out because I have a really good track record. I really believe in the University. When it comes to building relationships with students and making them have a sense of ownership on campus, I think I can do that.”

Why you should vote for me:

“I have a lot of experience and I’m ready to take on this role. I really know and have grasped the vision of this school.”

Megha Garg can be contacted at m.garg2@umiami.edu. Natalia Maldonado can be contacted at n.maldonado@umiami.