Choose your candidate

THE “Teal SHIRT” people

Pete Maki
Power. Pride. Change.

Major: Political science, Psychology

Year: First-semester senior

Running mates: VP – Paula Georg

Treasurer – Ciara Mohamed

Leadership Experience: Current SG Senior Senator; President, Sigma Chi; Chair, Association of Greek Letter Organizations; Chair, Counseling Outreach and Peer Education; Cofounder, College Republicans

Platforms:

Shuttle service to Key Biscayne – Saturday and Sunday service from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Business cards for all students – Students receive

business cards based on attendance to Toppel Career Center seminars

Late night study space – Provide students with

alternative study areas because the library closes

by midnight or 1 a.m.; Maki has determined through

research that keeping the library open would require

certified librarian on duty

Free towel service at the Wellness Center – Students will not have to pay current $1.00 fee each time they use the service

Off-campus ‘Cane Card – A different plan from previous attempts to extend ‘Cane Express services; this will allow the ‘Cane Card to be used as a debit card connected to a student’s bank account

Extend Ibis Ride Shuttle Service – Add Dickinson Drive and fraternity row shuttle stops

Laundry accommodations – Free laundry service will be implemented Fall 2005, and to avoid backups, Maki will promote stackable machines in laundry rooms

Wireless printing in library-Students using laptops can print directly from their computers to expedite the printing process

Quotable QUOTES:

“It’s less about what the candidates promise you but how far they will go for you.”

Why you should vote for me:

“I think I am the best person for the job. I’ve had a very diverse experience at UM. I feel like I have done so much in this University. I feel like myself and my ticket will be one of the best.”

THE “RED SHIRT” people

Pamela Schiess
Keeping the MomentUM…

Moving Toward Excellence

Major : Broadcast Journalism, Political Science

Year: Junior

Running mates: VP – Aaron Brunner;

Treasurer – Gabriel Trujillo

Leadership Experience: Current SG School of Communication Senator; current Director, Get Out the Vote; current Coordinator, “Cane for a Day”; UM Ambassador; Coordinator, Orientation 2005

Platforms:

24-hour study space – Keep first floor of library open 24 hours to facilitate more convenient study locations for students

Wall Street Journal and New York Times in dining halls – Students will have easier access to these publications since they are required reading for many classes

Extended Weekend Ibis Ride – To give students more time at Coconut Grove on the weekends and relieve crowding at shuttle stops, Schiess will extend shuttle service by one hour

More nutritional food in convenience store – Because many students depend on the C-store for snacks, students will have more healthy food choices available to them

Credit card machine in C-Store – If pilot program works in C-Store, Schiess will explore possibility of implementing credit card machines in Food Court.

‘Cane Card-compatible vending machines – Have all vending machines on campus accept ‘Cane Cards and ensure that all existing ‘Cane Card-compatible machines are in service

Support the WVUM referendum – Acknowledge the services that WVUM provides to the University and support an allocation of funds to help it improve its equipment

Quotable Quotes:

“I stand out because I have a really good track record. I really believe in the University. When it comes to building relationships with students and making them have a sense of ownership on campus, I think I can do that.”

Why you should vote for me:

“I have a lot of experience and I’m ready to take on this role. I really know and have grasped the vision of this school.”

Megha Garg can be contacted at m.garg2@umiami.edu. Natalia Maldonado can be contacted at n.maldonado@umiami.

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...