Women’s tennis tops a pair of Florida rivals

The University of Miami women’s tennis swept two in-state opponents at the Neil Schiff Stadium in Coral Gables.

The No. 63 Florida International Panthers were no match for the ‘Canes, who rank 10th in the country. Senior Megan Bradley and sophomore Audrey Banada secured the first set at the first doubles position, finishing 8-3. The second doubles team, consisting of junior Melissa Applebaum and freshman Caren Seenauth, downed the Panthers 8-5. Senior Staci Stevens and freshman Patricia Starzyk completed the doubles sweep 9-8.

Six consecutive singles wins ended the match in Miami’s favor at 7-0, the team’s second sweep of the season.

Bradley played her first three-set match since the end of last season.

Applebaum played at the second singles position, clinching a victory in two sets 6-2, 6-4. No. 3 Stevens followed suit, finishing 6-2, 6-2. Starzyk concluded her match 7-5, 3-6, 6-1, maintaining her undefeated record. Banada finished in two sets at the fifth singles position. After losing once, Seenauth came back to secure the 7-0 for the ‘Canes.

After a one day recess the ‘Canes returned to beat University of Central Florida’s in another 7-0 match.

The first doubles team finished with an 8-0 victory, followed by a 9-7 second doubles win.

The ‘Canes showed their dominance over UCF with every singles match ending in straight set victories.

Bradley played at first singles, winning 6-1, 6-3, her 21st consecutive triumph. Stevens had a difficult time in the first set, having to play four tiebreakers before winning 7-6, but easily took the second set 6-2. Applebaum finished 6-0, 6-3 followed by Starzyk 6-0, 6-1. In the fifth singles position, Seenauth prevailed 6-0, 7-5. Mowery completed the match 6-4, 6-0.

“Everyone has been working hard at practice and that reflected their game today,” said Head Coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews. “I was most pleased with the No. 3 doubles who improved since Friday’s game against FIU.”

Stacey Arnold can be contacted at s.arnold@umiami.edu.

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...