UMNEWS – Miller Center for Contemporary Judaic Studies receives $2 million pledge

The University of Miami’s Sue and Leonard Miller Center for Contemporary Judaic Studies announced that Gloria Scharlin has pledged $2 million in memory of her husband, who passed away in 2001. In recognition for this gift, the Miller Center patio will be named in memory of Howard Scharlin. The gift will support the Miller Center’s academic programs and community outreach. Mrs. Scharlin has also donated five prized statues of Hasidic rabbis that grace the leafy patio.

“[The gift] seemed like the perfect way to honor his memory and at the same time highlight the ideals of intellectualism and Judaism,” Mrs. Scharlin said, “Howard loved nothing more than to read and learn. He was very interested in Judaism. This is a way to help perpetuate what he was most interested in.”

The gift will commemorate Howard Scharlin’s role as one of South Florida’s most respected philanthropists and leaders in the Jewish and general community. Gloria and Howard often opened their home and gardens for community programs and fundraisers and considered the Greater Miami Jewish Federation their top priority. Together with Norman and Irma Braman, they launched the “I Have a Dream”‘ program through which 118 children at Miami’s Drew Elementary School have the opportunity to attend college. In 2001, Mrs. Scharlin received the Central Agency for Jewish Education’s Community Arts Award. The Scharlin family also has a long history of supporting the University of Miami.

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...