Toppel Center aids undecided students

Life after college can be both exciting and challenging. For recent college graduates deciding what step to take next can be intimidating-but it doesn’t have to be.

Jenna Stewart, assistant director for internships and graduate school preparation at Toppel Career Center, noticed while meeting with students that many of them had trouble deciding what to do after graduation.

“After 16 or 17 years of schooling, grad school can be overwhelming,” Stewart said. “Some students are not sure where they want to go in the real world; when graduation comes they might want to do something else.”

This trend was an incentive for the Toppel Career Center to create a series of seminars that will help students examine their choices. The seminars will give students the opportunity to learn about alternate routes available after graduation and other paths that students might be interested in pursuing instead of the traditional job or grad school.

“Programs like this enhance learning and give students an opportunity to apply what they’ve learned,” Stewart said. “It takes courage to take the road less traveled.”

The seminars will be centered on three topics: Travel, Work and Volunteerism.

RESOURCES

– The Peace Corps –
www.peacecorp.gov

– AmeriCorps –
www.americorps.org

– Global Volunteers –
www.globalvolunteers.org

– Chambers of Commerce –
clickcity.com/index2.htm

– Workpermit.com: Immigration
Services – www.workpermit.com

– Teach for America –
www.teachforamerica.org

“Programs like this give you a goal, it gives you perspective, and it allows you to learn more about yourself,” Stewart said.

Travel Seminar: Wednesday, Feb. 23 at 2:00 p.m.

A great head start for planning a trip, whether one is considering backpacking through Europe or touring Latin America. This program will include information on planning and financing your trip. Guest speakers will include an STA Travel representative, and resources such as “Rick Steves’ Europe through the Back Door” and “Lonely Planet” website will be discussed.

Work Seminar: Thursday, March 3 at 2:00 p.m.

For students interested in gaining valuable experience before the traditional job or grad school, this seminar will discuss various programs available to students in the U.S. and abroad. The program will tentatively feature a “Teach for America” representative as guest speaker.

Volunteer Seminar: Tuesday, March 29 at 3:00 p.m.

Combine travel and volunteer work, or do it in your own state-this program will discuss volunteer opportunities domestic and abroad. Organizations to be discussed include the Peace Corps, Americorps, Global Volunteers and others. Guest speakers will tentatively feature Leandra Medina, director of the Butler Volunteer Services Center and a previous Peace Corps volunteer.

All seminars will take place at the Toppel Career Center Library, and no RSVP is necessary. Students from all majors are welcomed.

>> For more information contact Jenna Stewart jenna@miami.edu.

Vanessa Krause can be contacted at v.krause@umiami.edu.

They both returned to earn their degrees and finish their college football careers with their brothe ...

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...