Toppel Center aids undecided students

Life after college can be both exciting and challenging. For recent college graduates deciding what step to take next can be intimidating-but it doesn’t have to be.

Jenna Stewart, assistant director for internships and graduate school preparation at Toppel Career Center, noticed while meeting with students that many of them had trouble deciding what to do after graduation.

“After 16 or 17 years of schooling, grad school can be overwhelming,” Stewart said. “Some students are not sure where they want to go in the real world; when graduation comes they might want to do something else.”

This trend was an incentive for the Toppel Career Center to create a series of seminars that will help students examine their choices. The seminars will give students the opportunity to learn about alternate routes available after graduation and other paths that students might be interested in pursuing instead of the traditional job or grad school.

“Programs like this enhance learning and give students an opportunity to apply what they’ve learned,” Stewart said. “It takes courage to take the road less traveled.”

The seminars will be centered on three topics: Travel, Work and Volunteerism.

RESOURCES

– The Peace Corps –
www.peacecorp.gov

– AmeriCorps –
www.americorps.org

– Global Volunteers –
www.globalvolunteers.org

– Chambers of Commerce –
clickcity.com/index2.htm

– Workpermit.com: Immigration
Services – www.workpermit.com

– Teach for America –
www.teachforamerica.org

“Programs like this give you a goal, it gives you perspective, and it allows you to learn more about yourself,” Stewart said.

Travel Seminar: Wednesday, Feb. 23 at 2:00 p.m.

A great head start for planning a trip, whether one is considering backpacking through Europe or touring Latin America. This program will include information on planning and financing your trip. Guest speakers will include an STA Travel representative, and resources such as “Rick Steves’ Europe through the Back Door” and “Lonely Planet” website will be discussed.

Work Seminar: Thursday, March 3 at 2:00 p.m.

For students interested in gaining valuable experience before the traditional job or grad school, this seminar will discuss various programs available to students in the U.S. and abroad. The program will tentatively feature a “Teach for America” representative as guest speaker.

Volunteer Seminar: Tuesday, March 29 at 3:00 p.m.

Combine travel and volunteer work, or do it in your own state-this program will discuss volunteer opportunities domestic and abroad. Organizations to be discussed include the Peace Corps, Americorps, Global Volunteers and others. Guest speakers will tentatively feature Leandra Medina, director of the Butler Volunteer Services Center and a previous Peace Corps volunteer.

All seminars will take place at the Toppel Career Center Library, and no RSVP is necessary. Students from all majors are welcomed.

>> For more information contact Jenna Stewart jenna@miami.edu.

Vanessa Krause can be contacted at v.krause@umiami.edu.

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...

Quick Hits gives University of Miami volleyball fans an inside scoop on the latest additions to the ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...