Men’s tennis enjoys weekend sweep

While the boat show took place on Miami Beach this weekend, the men’s tennis team put on its own show at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

The No. 51 ‘Canes won consecutive matches on Friday and Saturday, beating Jacksonville and Stetson, respectively, to run their record to 4-1 on the year.

Junior Eric Hechtman and freshman Ryan Waits teamed up and beat Jacksonville’s duo 8-5 in the first doubles game. Junior Tim Krebs and freshman Vivek Subramanian followed with an 8-2 victory in No. 2 doubles.

In singles play, sophomore Josh Cohen-ranked 26th nationally in singles-rebounded from a 6-0 second-set loss to upend JU’s Hehensteiger, 6-2, 0-6, 6-4 at first singles.

Krebs, who is ranked 123rd in singles, won in straight-sets (6-1, 6-1) over Wietrak in No. 2 singles and Hechtman handled Ritschka in similar fashion in No. 3 competition.

Subramanian won his No. 4 singles match, downing the Dolphins’ Andrew Burks, 6-0, 7-6 (8-6), and Luis Manrique outlasted Merchant with a 6-1, 3-6, 6-1 win in fifth singles.

Saturday’s match was highlighted by the nation’s 43rd-ranked tandem of Cohen and Hechtman’s 8-3 win over SU’s No. 1 doubles team of Marcus Echtler and Birger Soiland.

Cohen and Hechtman continued to play well in singles, with a pair of 6-1, 6-0 straight-set wins over Stetson’s Joey Jones and Soiland at the No. 2 and No. 3 positions, respectively.

UM’s Krebs clinched the match in first singles, downing Echtler, 7-5, 6-2 to improve to 6-0 on the year.

Subramanian won his No. 4 singles match over Christian Moe, 4-6, 6-4, (10-6), and fellow classmate Waits bounced back from a first set loss to overtake Thomas Bross 3-6, 6-2, 6-2.

The two wins extended the ‘Canes’ win streak to four matches.

The Hurricanes will look to continue their streak this weekend when they face the University of Central Florida Friday and Florida A&M Sunday.

Chris Hamilton can be contacted at c.hamilton2@umiami.edu.

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...