Briefs – TRACK * BASKETBALL

Women’s Track & Field

Behind a total of five individual titles and one relay title, the third-ranked University of Miami women’s track team won the 2005 ACC Women’s Indoor Track and Field Championship with a total of 138 points as the third and final day of competition came to a close Saturday at the Eddie Smith Field House.

In their inaugural season in the Atlantic Coast Conference, the Hurricanes, who won the Big East Indoor title in 2003 and 2004, finished with a total of 138 points followed by North Carolina with 100 points and Georgia Tech with 98 points.

Along with the five individual championships and one relay title, a total of nine UM athletes drew All-ACC honors, including Lauren Austin (4×400 relay), Kimberli Barrett (weight throw, shot put), Tabia Charles (long jump, triple jump), Dominique Darden (200 meter dash, 4×400 relay), Ginou Etienne (4×400 relay), Charlette Greggs (400 meter dash, 4×400 relay), India Ransom (60 meter dash), Amy Seward (pentathlon) and Amber Williams (pentathlon).

Men’s Basketball

Zabian Dowdell scored 17 points as Virginia Tech broke open the game and a fourth-place tie with Miami, 71-58, in ACC action Saturday night.

Coleman Collins added 18 points and five rebounds for the Hokies (14-10, 7-6), who remained tied with Maryland. Deron Washington added 10.

Guillermo Diaz led Miami (15-9, 6-7) with 12 points. William Frisby scored 12 points and grabbed eight rebounds. Robert Hite added 11 points and Anthony Harris 10 for the Hurricanes.

Frisby hit four free throws to pull the ‘Canes back in the game, cutting the lead to 52-46 with 10:20 to play. Miami had trailed 50-36 minutes into the second half before a 10-2 run.

Dowdell’s three free throws gave Virginia Tech its largest lead, 68-50, with just under five minutes to play.

The Hokies shot 60 percent before the break. Miami, just 1-for-6 from beyond the arc in the half, shot 42 percent. Tech cooled to 54 percent for the game. Miami shot 40 percent, but out rebounded the Hokies 31-25.

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

With Mark Walton (cut by Cincinnati) and Kendrick Norton (released by Carolina), the Dolphins have n ...

Perhaps no one but Kellen Winslow II knows for sure when his deep dive began from beloved University ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Behavioral scientists establish a new mental health research center at the University of Miami to ha ...

For the second time in three years, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the University of Miami women's t ...

For the second-straight season, Kevin Arreaga of the Miami track and field team secured a spot at na ...

With the seven-run victory, Miami won its ACC Championship opener for the fifth consecutive season. ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team edged No. 77 Paola Diaz-Delg ...

Redshirt junior Brian Van Belle will take the mound in Miami's ACC Baseball Championship opener ...