Briefs – TRACK * BASKETBALL

Women’s Track & Field

Behind a total of five individual titles and one relay title, the third-ranked University of Miami women’s track team won the 2005 ACC Women’s Indoor Track and Field Championship with a total of 138 points as the third and final day of competition came to a close Saturday at the Eddie Smith Field House.

In their inaugural season in the Atlantic Coast Conference, the Hurricanes, who won the Big East Indoor title in 2003 and 2004, finished with a total of 138 points followed by North Carolina with 100 points and Georgia Tech with 98 points.

Along with the five individual championships and one relay title, a total of nine UM athletes drew All-ACC honors, including Lauren Austin (4×400 relay), Kimberli Barrett (weight throw, shot put), Tabia Charles (long jump, triple jump), Dominique Darden (200 meter dash, 4×400 relay), Ginou Etienne (4×400 relay), Charlette Greggs (400 meter dash, 4×400 relay), India Ransom (60 meter dash), Amy Seward (pentathlon) and Amber Williams (pentathlon).

Men’s Basketball

Zabian Dowdell scored 17 points as Virginia Tech broke open the game and a fourth-place tie with Miami, 71-58, in ACC action Saturday night.

Coleman Collins added 18 points and five rebounds for the Hokies (14-10, 7-6), who remained tied with Maryland. Deron Washington added 10.

Guillermo Diaz led Miami (15-9, 6-7) with 12 points. William Frisby scored 12 points and grabbed eight rebounds. Robert Hite added 11 points and Anthony Harris 10 for the Hurricanes.

Frisby hit four free throws to pull the ‘Canes back in the game, cutting the lead to 52-46 with 10:20 to play. Miami had trailed 50-36 minutes into the second half before a 10-2 run.

Dowdell’s three free throws gave Virginia Tech its largest lead, 68-50, with just under five minutes to play.

The Hokies shot 60 percent before the break. Miami, just 1-for-6 from beyond the arc in the half, shot 42 percent. Tech cooled to 54 percent for the game. Miami shot 40 percent, but out rebounded the Hokies 31-25.

A University of Miami political scientist weighs in on whether election polls can be trusted given what occurred in 2016 and again last year. ...

A professor in the School of Communication, and an expert on the history of television sitcoms, writes about the 50th anniversary of “All in the Family.” ...

The former executive vice president and provost served from 1986 to 2005, elevating the University’s stature as a leading research institution. ...

The Hemispheric University Consortium is connecting universities and students for critical conversations focused on solving some of the world’s most pressing problems, such as climate change. ...

Experts say creativity and kindness can help make the most of this challenging holiday season. ...