Briefs – TRACK * BASKETBALL

Women’s Track & Field

Behind a total of five individual titles and one relay title, the third-ranked University of Miami women’s track team won the 2005 ACC Women’s Indoor Track and Field Championship with a total of 138 points as the third and final day of competition came to a close Saturday at the Eddie Smith Field House.

In their inaugural season in the Atlantic Coast Conference, the Hurricanes, who won the Big East Indoor title in 2003 and 2004, finished with a total of 138 points followed by North Carolina with 100 points and Georgia Tech with 98 points.

Along with the five individual championships and one relay title, a total of nine UM athletes drew All-ACC honors, including Lauren Austin (4×400 relay), Kimberli Barrett (weight throw, shot put), Tabia Charles (long jump, triple jump), Dominique Darden (200 meter dash, 4×400 relay), Ginou Etienne (4×400 relay), Charlette Greggs (400 meter dash, 4×400 relay), India Ransom (60 meter dash), Amy Seward (pentathlon) and Amber Williams (pentathlon).

Men’s Basketball

Zabian Dowdell scored 17 points as Virginia Tech broke open the game and a fourth-place tie with Miami, 71-58, in ACC action Saturday night.

Coleman Collins added 18 points and five rebounds for the Hokies (14-10, 7-6), who remained tied with Maryland. Deron Washington added 10.

Guillermo Diaz led Miami (15-9, 6-7) with 12 points. William Frisby scored 12 points and grabbed eight rebounds. Robert Hite added 11 points and Anthony Harris 10 for the Hurricanes.

Frisby hit four free throws to pull the ‘Canes back in the game, cutting the lead to 52-46 with 10:20 to play. Miami had trailed 50-36 minutes into the second half before a 10-2 run.

Dowdell’s three free throws gave Virginia Tech its largest lead, 68-50, with just under five minutes to play.

The Hokies shot 60 percent before the break. Miami, just 1-for-6 from beyond the arc in the half, shot 42 percent. Tech cooled to 54 percent for the game. Miami shot 40 percent, but out rebounded the Hokies 31-25.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...