Anti-gay marriage on Feb. 14 adds insult to injury

Florida has lost its collective mind. Seriously, I don’t care if you’re a conservative, religious zealot, or just a prejudiced homophobe. One law banning gay marriage should be enough to appease you! But nope, on Valentine’s Day, a coalition of various religious institutions announced its petition to get an amendment banning gay marriage in the state constitution. So…here’s the message I’m getting from that: “Today is a day where we appreciate all those people that we love so much. But wait, not you two guys…you’re lovin’ a little too much. In fact, it’s a detriment to my ability to love! Stop it!”

Nevermind, I don’t think any of the boneheads involved in this petition could use a 9th grade vocabulary word like “detriment.”

What is the point in introducing the same law?

In my opinion, there is none. And you know who agrees with me? Jeb Bush. Surprise, surprise. The Director of Equality Florida put the true spirit behind this petition into light: ”They have chosen Valentine’s Day to make their cruel and bigoted message clear, that our love and our relationships are inferior to theirs. That some families are more valued than others. That some people should be branded as second-class citizens.”

I’d appreciate it if those out there who are anti-gay could at least respect that a law is already on the books and try not to shove it in our faces that the majority of Floridians think gay people are inferior. In fact, your time might be better spent in the (futile) attempt at building a case that gay marriage in any way shape or form infringes on your civil rights. Think about it, you’re gonna look mighty stupid when Martin Luther King, Jr.’s equivalent comes around to organize a movement (so far the closest thing the gay community has had are Rosie and Ellen).

If this amendment comes to a national vote, there is no doubt in my mind it will pass, as almost every other amendment to the Florida constitution does. At this rate, I’m surprised interracial marriage is still legal.

Margaret Scott can be contacted at m.scott2@umsis.miami.edu.

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...