Anti-gay marriage on Feb. 14 adds insult to injury

Florida has lost its collective mind. Seriously, I don’t care if you’re a conservative, religious zealot, or just a prejudiced homophobe. One law banning gay marriage should be enough to appease you! But nope, on Valentine’s Day, a coalition of various religious institutions announced its petition to get an amendment banning gay marriage in the state constitution. So…here’s the message I’m getting from that: “Today is a day where we appreciate all those people that we love so much. But wait, not you two guys…you’re lovin’ a little too much. In fact, it’s a detriment to my ability to love! Stop it!”

Nevermind, I don’t think any of the boneheads involved in this petition could use a 9th grade vocabulary word like “detriment.”

What is the point in introducing the same law?

In my opinion, there is none. And you know who agrees with me? Jeb Bush. Surprise, surprise. The Director of Equality Florida put the true spirit behind this petition into light: ”They have chosen Valentine’s Day to make their cruel and bigoted message clear, that our love and our relationships are inferior to theirs. That some families are more valued than others. That some people should be branded as second-class citizens.”

I’d appreciate it if those out there who are anti-gay could at least respect that a law is already on the books and try not to shove it in our faces that the majority of Floridians think gay people are inferior. In fact, your time might be better spent in the (futile) attempt at building a case that gay marriage in any way shape or form infringes on your civil rights. Think about it, you’re gonna look mighty stupid when Martin Luther King, Jr.’s equivalent comes around to organize a movement (so far the closest thing the gay community has had are Rosie and Ellen).

If this amendment comes to a national vote, there is no doubt in my mind it will pass, as almost every other amendment to the Florida constitution does. At this rate, I’m surprised interracial marriage is still legal.

Margaret Scott can be contacted at m.scott2@umsis.miami.edu.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...