Women’s tennis sweeps FAU

The No. 10 Miami women’s tennis team swept the Florida Atlantic Owls 7-0 Tuesday to win its 16th-straight home match of the season.

The match against Florida Atlantic (0-1) was scheduled to be the season opener on Jan. 28 but was postponed due to bad weather.

The ‘Canes, now 3-2 on the season, won all their doubles matches to earn the doubles point. Senior Megan Bradley and freshman Juliette Mavroleon met the Owls’ Alena Dvorakova and Elodie Wendling and defeated them 8-0. Bradley, the No. 2 ranked player in the country, typically plays with sophomore Audrey Banada, but the change in partners didn’t seem to hurt either player’s game.

“We did well for never practicing together,” Bradley said.

Senior Staci Stevens and freshman Patricia Starzyk defeated FAU’s Veronika Koksova and Claudia Kecht 8-1 and junior Melissa Applebaum and freshman Caren Seenauth beat the Owls’ Krystel Borg and Katherine Bartnik 8-0 to complete the doubles sweep.

The ‘Canes also won all of the singles matches, six out of seven coming in straight sets. Bradley handily defeated Dvorakova, 6-1, 6-2, but she admitted to having focus lapses.

“She was a tough player,” she said. “But there were no complaints.”

In other singles action, Banada defeated Borg, 6-1, 6-1, while Sophomore Emily Mowery overcame Kecht 6-1, 6-2. Seenauth, in her singles debut, beat Bartnik, 6-3, 6-0.

Starzyk, an Austrian native and the only international ‘Canes player, defeated Wendling 6-0, 6-3. Although she said she felt the team was doing well, Starzyk was not happy with her performance.

“It was difficult to play against her,” Starzyk said. “I didn’t find my rhythm.”

In what proved to be the toughest and longest match of the evening, Stevens battled back after losing the first set and defeated Koksova, 6-7 (4), 6-2, 7-6 (7).

“The girls played well,” said Head Coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews. “They are each working on improving something specific. Knock on wood, they’ll stay healthy.”

The Hurricanes continue undefeated all-time against the Owls, with a 21-0 record.

The women’s team was ranked 10th in the Feb. 8 ITA poll. It is the first time the team has been ranked in the Top 10 since the 1988 season, when it was also 10th.

The ‘Canes’ next opponent will be cross-town rival Florida International at 1 p.m. today at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

Patricia Mazzei can be contacted at pmazzei@miami.edu.

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...