Women’s tennis sweeps FAU

The No. 10 Miami women’s tennis team swept the Florida Atlantic Owls 7-0 Tuesday to win its 16th-straight home match of the season.

The match against Florida Atlantic (0-1) was scheduled to be the season opener on Jan. 28 but was postponed due to bad weather.

The ‘Canes, now 3-2 on the season, won all their doubles matches to earn the doubles point. Senior Megan Bradley and freshman Juliette Mavroleon met the Owls’ Alena Dvorakova and Elodie Wendling and defeated them 8-0. Bradley, the No. 2 ranked player in the country, typically plays with sophomore Audrey Banada, but the change in partners didn’t seem to hurt either player’s game.

“We did well for never practicing together,” Bradley said.

Senior Staci Stevens and freshman Patricia Starzyk defeated FAU’s Veronika Koksova and Claudia Kecht 8-1 and junior Melissa Applebaum and freshman Caren Seenauth beat the Owls’ Krystel Borg and Katherine Bartnik 8-0 to complete the doubles sweep.

The ‘Canes also won all of the singles matches, six out of seven coming in straight sets. Bradley handily defeated Dvorakova, 6-1, 6-2, but she admitted to having focus lapses.

“She was a tough player,” she said. “But there were no complaints.”

In other singles action, Banada defeated Borg, 6-1, 6-1, while Sophomore Emily Mowery overcame Kecht 6-1, 6-2. Seenauth, in her singles debut, beat Bartnik, 6-3, 6-0.

Starzyk, an Austrian native and the only international ‘Canes player, defeated Wendling 6-0, 6-3. Although she said she felt the team was doing well, Starzyk was not happy with her performance.

“It was difficult to play against her,” Starzyk said. “I didn’t find my rhythm.”

In what proved to be the toughest and longest match of the evening, Stevens battled back after losing the first set and defeated Koksova, 6-7 (4), 6-2, 7-6 (7).

“The girls played well,” said Head Coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews. “They are each working on improving something specific. Knock on wood, they’ll stay healthy.”

The Hurricanes continue undefeated all-time against the Owls, with a 21-0 record.

The women’s team was ranked 10th in the Feb. 8 ITA poll. It is the first time the team has been ranked in the Top 10 since the 1988 season, when it was also 10th.

The ‘Canes’ next opponent will be cross-town rival Florida International at 1 p.m. today at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

Patricia Mazzei can be contacted at pmazzei@miami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

The 2019 NFL draft begins tonight from Nashville, Tennessee, and continues through Saturday with sev ...

The final concrete slabs for the 25 interconnected buildings of the newly named Lakeside Village are ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team won ACC Player of the Year for the seco ...

Sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera earned second team accolades for the second straight season, while f ...

Miami and adidas today unveiled the first-ever baseball jerseys made from Parley Ocean Plastic. ...

Michael Amditis tied a career-high with three hits and a homer to help the #24 Canes sweep FIU. ...

Miami earns sixth seed in Cle Elum Regional, hosted by the University of Washington. ...