UMNEWS – UM alumus Marvin Shanken establishes School of Communication scholarship

Marvin R. Shanken, founder and publisher of signature lifestyle magazines such as Wine Spectator, Cigar Aficionado and Food Arts, has established the Wine Spectator Scholarship Foundation Scholarships in the School of Communication at the University of Miami. The $30,000 gift will provide support to UM students majoring in print journalism, broadcast journalism, visual communications, motion pictures, public relations or communication studies, who have demonstrated an interest in wine, wine and health, food, and/or hospitality.

A UM 1965 alumnus, Mr. Shanken has always viewed education as the goal of Wine Spectator magazine, and each year proceeds from magazine’s highly successful Wine Experience Weekend support the Wine Spectator Scholarship Foundation. Previous grants and scholarships have been awarded to educational programs at the University of California at Davis; the Culinary Institute of America; the Cornell School of Hotel Administration; and Copia: The American Institute of Wine, Food and the Arts, among other institutions.

The announcement of the new scholarship coincides with the opening of The Wine Spectator Collection Posters of the Belle

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...