UMNEWS – UM alumus Marvin Shanken establishes School of Communication scholarship

Marvin R. Shanken, founder and publisher of signature lifestyle magazines such as Wine Spectator, Cigar Aficionado and Food Arts, has established the Wine Spectator Scholarship Foundation Scholarships in the School of Communication at the University of Miami. The $30,000 gift will provide support to UM students majoring in print journalism, broadcast journalism, visual communications, motion pictures, public relations or communication studies, who have demonstrated an interest in wine, wine and health, food, and/or hospitality.

A UM 1965 alumnus, Mr. Shanken has always viewed education as the goal of Wine Spectator magazine, and each year proceeds from magazine’s highly successful Wine Experience Weekend support the Wine Spectator Scholarship Foundation. Previous grants and scholarships have been awarded to educational programs at the University of California at Davis; the Culinary Institute of America; the Cornell School of Hotel Administration; and Copia: The American Institute of Wine, Food and the Arts, among other institutions.

The announcement of the new scholarship coincides with the opening of The Wine Spectator Collection Posters of the Belle

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...