The ABC’s for Adults: anorexia, bulimia and compulsive overeating

Many hold the common misconception that eating disorders affect only women, and stem from the desire to become thin or to change one’s physical appearance; rather it is an emotional battle that involves a search for control and temporary emotional respite. Anorexia, bulimia and compulsive overeating are the three most common eating disorders that men and women face. Statistics show that 20 to 30 percent of the population will have an eating disorder at any given time. Unfortunately, countless men and women continue to suffer from these diseases and do not know where to receive help.

Three years ago, after seeking treatment for her own battle with an eating disorder, producer Joanna Popper decided to speak out and educate others. The Northwestern University graduate, holding an MBA from The Wharton Business School at the University of Pennsylvania, first came to the University of Miami three years ago, and spoke to UM’s Delta Gamma sorority to raise awareness among college women about eating disorders. Popper noticed that the majority of information college students receive concerns alcoholism, date rape and sexual education, but not eating disorders. Speaking at UM was only the beginning to a project that would be featured on CNN’s Anderson Cooper 360

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

The 2019 NFL draft begins tonight from Nashville, Tennessee, and continues through Saturday with sev ...

The final concrete slabs for the 25 interconnected buildings of the newly named Lakeside Village are ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team won ACC Player of the Year for the seco ...

Sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera earned second team accolades for the second straight season, while f ...

Miami and adidas today unveiled the first-ever baseball jerseys made from Parley Ocean Plastic. ...

Michael Amditis tied a career-high with three hits and a homer to help the #24 Canes sweep FIU. ...

Miami earns sixth seed in Cle Elum Regional, hosted by the University of Washington. ...