Culture

The ABC’s for Adults: anorexia, bulimia and compulsive overeating

Many hold the common misconception that eating disorders affect only women, and stem from the desire to become thin or to change one’s physical appearance; rather it is an emotional battle that involves a search for control and temporary emotional respite. Anorexia, bulimia and compulsive overeating are the three most common eating disorders that men and women face. Statistics show that 20 to 30 percent of the population will have an eating disorder at any given time. Unfortunately, countless men and women continue to suffer from these diseases and do not know where to receive help.

Three years ago, after seeking treatment for her own battle with an eating disorder, producer Joanna Popper decided to speak out and educate others. The Northwestern University graduate, holding an MBA from The Wharton Business School at the University of Pennsylvania, first came to the University of Miami three years ago, and spoke to UM’s Delta Gamma sorority to raise awareness among college women about eating disorders. Popper noticed that the majority of information college students receive concerns alcoholism, date rape and sexual education, but not eating disorders. Speaking at UM was only the beginning to a project that would be featured on CNN’s Anderson Cooper 360

Tufaan, the University of Miami’s South Asian a cappella group, needs the community’s help to advanc

Dr. Brandon Chatani, a Miller School of Medicine infectious disease specialist, offers advice on way

With the federal Endangered Species Act in danger, University of Miami researchers find that state p

An online exhibit spotlights the talents of two University of Miami incoming Master of Fine Arts gra

Casey Klofstad, political science professor, explains why and how voters should pay attention to pol