Living up to its name, The Best American Nonrequired Reading is greatly satisfying

Started in 1915, the Best American series is a showcase for fiction and nonfiction. In each volume the best pieces of fiction and nonfiction are selected by an editor who is considered one of the best in his or her field. For 2004 David Eggers has chosen some of the best contemporary fiction, nonfiction and even comics for the series. Taken from a wide variety of publications such as the Atlantic Monthly, Bomb, the New York Times and even GQ, the collection of works appeals to every reader.

The collection for the latest edition includes a hilarious introduction by Viggo Mortensen who is a known film actor and published artist/poet. In part of the introduction Mortensen acknowledges that, “we are free to read or not read.” Although he makes some rather humorous suggestions about how to go about reading this book, it should be read.

Featuring some of the best authors, highlight pieces include David Sedaris’ “Full House” taken from Esquire and Robert Kelly’s “How They Took My Body Apart and Made Another Me.” Ranging from comical stories to even a ten page comic about a sailor, entitled “Poor Sailor,” by John Haskell, the Best American series is one not to be missed.

If you’ve ever been bored with a full length novel, try short stories. They will re-excite you about reading.

Joanna Davila can be contacted at j.davila1@umiami.edu.

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...