Hurricanes valiant in defeat

The men’s basketball team earned praise when it went to No. 5 Wake Forest on Jan. 29 and hung around with one of the best teams in the country for 30 out of the 40 minutes. Entering Tuesday night’s rematch at the Convocation Center, the Hurricanes were tired of hearing that “hanging around” was good enough.

Although the Demon Deacons won 68-63, Miami certainly hung around for 40 minutes this time. Any time Wake Forest took a lead the Hurricanes would answer with either a slashing layup by Guillermo Diaz or an Anthony Harris three-pointer.

The Hurricanes never let the deficit get out of hand. They tied the score at 33 right before the teams went to the locker room, and even though Wake Forest started out with a mini 5-0 run to start the second half, Miami answered right back with a 6-0 run of its own.

Miami found itself in a dogfight with arguably the best team in the country. The lead went back and forth but ballooned for the Deacons as they took their largest lead of the game by eight points with 3:30 to play. But once again, these Hurricanes didn’t give up.

Trailing 63-55, the ‘Canes reeled off six straight points to cut the lead to two with 1:31 to play. Although Miami couldn’t get closer than that the rest of the way, staying in a dogfight with Wake is something new to this team.

“Last year we would have gotten down on ourselves,” sophomore Anthony King said. “This year we keep everything positive and it has helped us a lot.”

Douglas C. Kroll can be contacted at d.kroll@umiami.edu

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...