Elsewhere – Walking condom promotes sexual awareness at U. Arizona

(U-WIRE) TUCSON, Ariz. – A man wearing a large condom suit roamed the mall at the University of Arizona Monday to catch the attention of passing students, while volunteers handed out free condoms to celebrate the beginning of Sexual Awareness Week.

“We organize things on the mall to advise the student body and get them involved,” said Cherilyn Gain, a sophomore majoring in English and Spanish. “We are trying to make a difference as far as student help. Today we are focusing on prevention.”

The main event was to guess the number of condoms in a jar to win a prize. Participants were also showered with free condoms and sexually informative brochures.

The Southern Arizona AIDS Foundation offered free AIDS testing in the Student Union Memorial Center.

“I am getting tested because I have worked with AIDS organizations and am an RA, so being informed is important to me,” said Cambel Berk, a biochemistry senior. “I am also trying to set an example.”

The ASUA Pride Alliance, a campus group devoted to promoting diversity and individuality on campus for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and allied students, will host daily events for the week.

Later this week, the Cellar will be home of the Cross Dress Cabaret, a drag show with student participation.

“I am very excited about Cross Dress Cabaret,” Berk said. “My friend is the host, so I will definitely be there, and I think it’s definitely something worth going to.”

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...