Briefs – WOMEN’S TRACK AND FIELD

Women’s Track & Field

The University of Miami women’s track and field team moved up to third in the nation in the latest Trackwire25 rankings released Tuesday. The ranking marks the highest in school history.

Led by senior thrower Kim Barrett (Miami Gulliver Prep), the Hurricanes have eight student athletes ranked among the nation’s elite in 10 different events. Barrett, who transferred to the University of Miami prior to this season from the University of Florida, ranks No. 1 in the nation in the shot put and ranks third in the nation in weight throw.

Miami’s All-American jumping duo of Tabia Charles and Brenda Faluade has also been impressive this season. The two have combined to win five meet championships this season.

Charles has recorded two meet victories this season and ranks 11th in the nation in the triple jump. The sophomore, who also ranks ninth in the nation this season in the long jump, earned All-America honors last season in both the long jump and triple jump at the NCAA Indoor Championships.

Faluade, a two-time All-American, has won one triple jump and two long jump titles this season. The sophomore ranks seventh in the nation in the long jump and 13th in the triple jump.

Miami’s corps of sprinters has run well this season. Sophomore Ginou Etienne won the 400-meters at last weekend’s Tyson Invitational posting the sixth-fastest time in the nation. She also ran the opening leg of the 4×400-meter relay that won with a time of 3:32.59, the second fastest time in the nation this year.

Joining Etienne on the nation’s second ranked relay are senior All-American Wiande Moore, junior All-American Dominique Darden and junior All-American Charlette Greggs.

In addition to the relay, Moore ranks 14th in the 60-meters, Darden ranks 16th in the 200-meters and 12th in the 60-meter hurdles, and Greggs ranks 10th in the 400-meters.

Senior Amber Williams ranks second in the nation in the Indoor Pentathlon.

The Hurricanes return to action this weekend at the ACC Indoor Track and Field Championships, Feb. 17 to 19, in Chapel Hill, N.C.

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...