Briefs – WOMEN’S TRACK AND FIELD

Women’s Track & Field

The University of Miami women’s track and field team moved up to third in the nation in the latest Trackwire25 rankings released Tuesday. The ranking marks the highest in school history.

Led by senior thrower Kim Barrett (Miami Gulliver Prep), the Hurricanes have eight student athletes ranked among the nation’s elite in 10 different events. Barrett, who transferred to the University of Miami prior to this season from the University of Florida, ranks No. 1 in the nation in the shot put and ranks third in the nation in weight throw.

Miami’s All-American jumping duo of Tabia Charles and Brenda Faluade has also been impressive this season. The two have combined to win five meet championships this season.

Charles has recorded two meet victories this season and ranks 11th in the nation in the triple jump. The sophomore, who also ranks ninth in the nation this season in the long jump, earned All-America honors last season in both the long jump and triple jump at the NCAA Indoor Championships.

Faluade, a two-time All-American, has won one triple jump and two long jump titles this season. The sophomore ranks seventh in the nation in the long jump and 13th in the triple jump.

Miami’s corps of sprinters has run well this season. Sophomore Ginou Etienne won the 400-meters at last weekend’s Tyson Invitational posting the sixth-fastest time in the nation. She also ran the opening leg of the 4×400-meter relay that won with a time of 3:32.59, the second fastest time in the nation this year.

Joining Etienne on the nation’s second ranked relay are senior All-American Wiande Moore, junior All-American Dominique Darden and junior All-American Charlette Greggs.

In addition to the relay, Moore ranks 14th in the 60-meters, Darden ranks 16th in the 200-meters and 12th in the 60-meter hurdles, and Greggs ranks 10th in the 400-meters.

Senior Amber Williams ranks second in the nation in the Indoor Pentathlon.

The Hurricanes return to action this weekend at the ACC Indoor Track and Field Championships, Feb. 17 to 19, in Chapel Hill, N.C.

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...