Briefs – WOMEN’S TRACK AND FIELD

Women’s Track & Field

The University of Miami women’s track and field team moved up to third in the nation in the latest Trackwire25 rankings released Tuesday. The ranking marks the highest in school history.

Led by senior thrower Kim Barrett (Miami Gulliver Prep), the Hurricanes have eight student athletes ranked among the nation’s elite in 10 different events. Barrett, who transferred to the University of Miami prior to this season from the University of Florida, ranks No. 1 in the nation in the shot put and ranks third in the nation in weight throw.

Miami’s All-American jumping duo of Tabia Charles and Brenda Faluade has also been impressive this season. The two have combined to win five meet championships this season.

Charles has recorded two meet victories this season and ranks 11th in the nation in the triple jump. The sophomore, who also ranks ninth in the nation this season in the long jump, earned All-America honors last season in both the long jump and triple jump at the NCAA Indoor Championships.

Faluade, a two-time All-American, has won one triple jump and two long jump titles this season. The sophomore ranks seventh in the nation in the long jump and 13th in the triple jump.

Miami’s corps of sprinters has run well this season. Sophomore Ginou Etienne won the 400-meters at last weekend’s Tyson Invitational posting the sixth-fastest time in the nation. She also ran the opening leg of the 4×400-meter relay that won with a time of 3:32.59, the second fastest time in the nation this year.

Joining Etienne on the nation’s second ranked relay are senior All-American Wiande Moore, junior All-American Dominique Darden and junior All-American Charlette Greggs.

In addition to the relay, Moore ranks 14th in the 60-meters, Darden ranks 16th in the 200-meters and 12th in the 60-meter hurdles, and Greggs ranks 10th in the 400-meters.

Senior Amber Williams ranks second in the nation in the Indoor Pentathlon.

The Hurricanes return to action this weekend at the ACC Indoor Track and Field Championships, Feb. 17 to 19, in Chapel Hill, N.C.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Michael Amditis tied a career-high with three hits and a homer to help the #24 Canes sweep FIU. ...

Miami earns sixth seed in Cle Elum Regional, hosted by the University of Washington. ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...