Briefs – WOMEN’S TRACK AND FIELD

Women’s Track & Field

The University of Miami women’s track and field team moved up to third in the nation in the latest Trackwire25 rankings released Tuesday. The ranking marks the highest in school history.

Led by senior thrower Kim Barrett (Miami Gulliver Prep), the Hurricanes have eight student athletes ranked among the nation’s elite in 10 different events. Barrett, who transferred to the University of Miami prior to this season from the University of Florida, ranks No. 1 in the nation in the shot put and ranks third in the nation in weight throw.

Miami’s All-American jumping duo of Tabia Charles and Brenda Faluade has also been impressive this season. The two have combined to win five meet championships this season.

Charles has recorded two meet victories this season and ranks 11th in the nation in the triple jump. The sophomore, who also ranks ninth in the nation this season in the long jump, earned All-America honors last season in both the long jump and triple jump at the NCAA Indoor Championships.

Faluade, a two-time All-American, has won one triple jump and two long jump titles this season. The sophomore ranks seventh in the nation in the long jump and 13th in the triple jump.

Miami’s corps of sprinters has run well this season. Sophomore Ginou Etienne won the 400-meters at last weekend’s Tyson Invitational posting the sixth-fastest time in the nation. She also ran the opening leg of the 4×400-meter relay that won with a time of 3:32.59, the second fastest time in the nation this year.

Joining Etienne on the nation’s second ranked relay are senior All-American Wiande Moore, junior All-American Dominique Darden and junior All-American Charlette Greggs.

In addition to the relay, Moore ranks 14th in the 60-meters, Darden ranks 16th in the 200-meters and 12th in the 60-meter hurdles, and Greggs ranks 10th in the 400-meters.

Senior Amber Williams ranks second in the nation in the Indoor Pentathlon.

The Hurricanes return to action this weekend at the ACC Indoor Track and Field Championships, Feb. 17 to 19, in Chapel Hill, N.C.

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...