Best insult ever: You’re such a J.S. Mill

I have had a revelation. The Right isn’t insane; it’s just callous. They are utilitarianists. They don’t see people (well, not after they’re born anyway); they only see numbers and the profit that they might harvest from those people. And that doesn’t make them nuts. It just makes them dicks.

I’ve had a hard time thinking about the War in Iraq in “Bush Terms.” I mean aside from all the lies about weapons of mass destruction and Saddam Hussein and Osama bin Laden being as tight as Bush and Fox News (or God if you really don’t believe FNC is in the White House’s pocket). They never talk about the human beings, American and Iraqi, soldiers and civilians, who are staining the sand red every day. It was stunning at first. Bush would go on television (or to a campaign rally back when we still had hope) and talk about some ludicrous picture of morning in Iraq. I didn’t get it. I knew he doesn’t read newspapers, but I figured he’d at least check out the Drudge Report or something once in a while. Then it dawned on me: He and his administration don’t really care. Lives are business costs. It’s like when a company launches a product it knows will draw lawsuits; it just factors the settlement costs into its bill. They expected lots of dead soldiers and civilians, and that’s why they don’t show them and don’t care about them.

It’s a simple case of cost/benefit analysis. Fifteen thousand-plus bodies are worth “freedom in the Middle East” to them. Well, we hope we’re fighting for “freedom” anyway. I don’t buy it. More likely, it’s about political capital or some crazy ultra-Christian crusade to make sure the prophecy of the Bible is fulfilled (oh please, please have religious motives! That would make this whole thing so much more fun to discuss in history classes in a couple generations!).

None of this really should be surprising. We see the philosophy of John Stuart Mill every day with conservatives. Well, kind of. They interpret “the greatest good for the greatest number” as “the greatest good for those with the greatest power.” Who needs to pay a living wage when you can save a couple of bucks per hour on every employee and buy a new yacht? Or a whole new marina? It makes sense to them. They “worked hard” for what they have, so it’s their right to not work to get some more. And that sounds pretty great and good to a lot of people who only care about number one.

Patrick Gibbons can be contacted at p.gibbons@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...