UMNEWS – New name reflects new programs

To reflect programs it is incorporating and its increased interdisciplinary focus, the University of Miami School of Nursing has a new name: the School of Nursing and Health Studies.

The health science program, formerly administered by the College of Arts and Sciences, prepares students for a variety of health-related careers, from pharmacy and nutrition to health care administration, health policy and international health. Approximately 70 new students enroll in the health science program each year. The school’s new building, now under construction, will be known as the M. Christine Schwartz Center for Nursing and Health Studies.

“This expansion positions our School to educate the next generation of leaders in a variety of health care fields,” says Nilda Peragallo, dean of the School of Nursing and Health Studies. “Integrating the Health Science degree into our curricula will enable us to enrich the learning experience of all our students and propel our School to the next level of excellence in the education of health care leaders. We welcome UM’s Health Science students and look forward to providing them with a comprehensive, quality education.”

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...