Naked Karaoke takes off

It is unlikely we will ever see Pavarotti perform in the buff, so it is fitting that today’s nearly-naked pop songbirds will continue to rely on vocal backing tracks. You have vocalists, you have nudists, but seldom do you find individuals who distinguish themselves at both. In fact, if Americans were surveyed I’m sure public nudity and singing in front of a crowd would top the list of “Most Humbling Experiences”, one and two respectively.

Though public nudity remains taboo, karaoke has been embraced across the nation. What makes karaoke such an intriguing phenomenon is, despite the inherently self-deprecating nature of the task, participants line up in droves to observe and be observed. Recently, a bar owner in the state of Connecticut upped the stakes on moxy and stirred up small town complacency in the process. Is the world ready for “Naked Karaoke?”

This past Saturday, Feb. 12, was Abraham Lincoln’s birthday. It was on this symbolic day of freedom that the first public exhibition (no pun intended) of naked karaoke took place. The “unveiling” of this hedonistic event was at a bar in Berlin, Conn. The Naked Karaoke phenomenon started on a slow day in September 2003. Marty St. Pierre, owner of The Berlin Station Caf

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...