Men’s tennis sweeps Georgia Southern

The University of Miami’s men’s tennis team concluded its Sunday match in a no less than perfect manner.

The ‘Canes defeated the Georgia Southern Eagles in straight sets, winning all doubles and singles contests in the 7-0 triumph.

In doubles Josh Cohen and Eric Hechtman met up with the Eagles’ Vincent Patry and Danie Van Den Heever and defeated them 8-5.

“Overall I think I played well. Obviously the tough conditions being the wind; I think I handled it pretty well,” Cohen said. “I think the wind frustrated my opponent, which ended up working for my advantage.”

The wind must have also been blowing in favor of the Hurricanes because Tim Krebs and Vivek Subramanian along with Luis Manrique and Ryan Waits finished their doubles matches with 9-7 and 8-5 victories, respectively.

Sunday’s match was definitely one of silent domination by the ‘Canes. Among the faint yells of “wind give me a break” and “Go Southern!” from the Georgia Southern players, the ‘Canes didn’t allow the Eagles to get into a rhythm.

Singles matches were no different. Many eyes were on the freshman Subramanian, who played an outstanding match, outmaneuvering his opponent Diego Flores with precision and speed in the 6-4, 6-2 victory.

“At first it was a little bit rough getting used to the crowd and having home court advantage, but finally in the second set I just got into my game and I started feeling more comfortable,” Subramanian said.

A special spectator from the university was in attendance, as President Donna E. Shalala stopped by to show her support. Coming from a tennis background, Shalala was very excited about the win.

“I am very happy about their victory. They have a wonderful new coach and we are going to improve the facilities for them. But it definitely looks like we have an outstanding team this year,” Shalala said.

Pleased with his team’s victory, Head Coach Mario Rincon said he admired the Hurricanes’ determination in Sunday’s performance.

“We have a team that just really likes to fight and they are such a close group that likes to play for the University of Miami,” Rincon said. “All of these things make my job a lot easier because we have a lot of improvement still to do because we have great goals to accomplish this season and little by little we are getting there.”

The No. 48 ‘Canes now have a season record of 3-1 and will be facing their next opponent at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center this Friday, hosting in-state rival Jacksonville at 8 p.m.

Antoinette Cordova can be contacted at a.cordova1@umiami.edu.

There is, indeed, a three-man quarterback race at the University of Miami. As spring came to a close ...

The Miami Hurricanes, for the past few years, have gone as far as their defense would take them, let ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s spring game at Camping World Stadium in Orlando: ▪ The quarterback play was ...

The Miami Hurricanes just wrapped up their spring game at Camping World Stadium in Orlando, where th ...

Mark Richt, speaking publicly for the first time since retiring as the Miami Hurricanes’ coach, said ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

The No. 23 Miami Hurricanes dropped the series finale on Saturday at No. 8 Louisville, 9-6. ...

Making its fourth straight appearance in the ACC Championship semifinals, the fifth-seeded and No. 2 ...

It took much longer than anticipated, but the No. 23 Miami Hurricanes outlasted No. 8 Louisville, 16 ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team knocked off fourth-seeded and nint ...