Men’s tennis sweeps Georgia Southern

The University of Miami’s men’s tennis team concluded its Sunday match in a no less than perfect manner.

The ‘Canes defeated the Georgia Southern Eagles in straight sets, winning all doubles and singles contests in the 7-0 triumph.

In doubles Josh Cohen and Eric Hechtman met up with the Eagles’ Vincent Patry and Danie Van Den Heever and defeated them 8-5.

“Overall I think I played well. Obviously the tough conditions being the wind; I think I handled it pretty well,” Cohen said. “I think the wind frustrated my opponent, which ended up working for my advantage.”

The wind must have also been blowing in favor of the Hurricanes because Tim Krebs and Vivek Subramanian along with Luis Manrique and Ryan Waits finished their doubles matches with 9-7 and 8-5 victories, respectively.

Sunday’s match was definitely one of silent domination by the ‘Canes. Among the faint yells of “wind give me a break” and “Go Southern!” from the Georgia Southern players, the ‘Canes didn’t allow the Eagles to get into a rhythm.

Singles matches were no different. Many eyes were on the freshman Subramanian, who played an outstanding match, outmaneuvering his opponent Diego Flores with precision and speed in the 6-4, 6-2 victory.

“At first it was a little bit rough getting used to the crowd and having home court advantage, but finally in the second set I just got into my game and I started feeling more comfortable,” Subramanian said.

A special spectator from the university was in attendance, as President Donna E. Shalala stopped by to show her support. Coming from a tennis background, Shalala was very excited about the win.

“I am very happy about their victory. They have a wonderful new coach and we are going to improve the facilities for them. But it definitely looks like we have an outstanding team this year,” Shalala said.

Pleased with his team’s victory, Head Coach Mario Rincon said he admired the Hurricanes’ determination in Sunday’s performance.

“We have a team that just really likes to fight and they are such a close group that likes to play for the University of Miami,” Rincon said. “All of these things make my job a lot easier because we have a lot of improvement still to do because we have great goals to accomplish this season and little by little we are getting there.”

The No. 48 ‘Canes now have a season record of 3-1 and will be facing their next opponent at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center this Friday, hosting in-state rival Jacksonville at 8 p.m.

Antoinette Cordova can be contacted at a.cordova1@umiami.edu.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...