Jimmy eat world’s Futures is bright

For all Jimmy Eat World fans patiently awaiting the band’s follow-up to 2001’s Bleed American, the stagnant years were well worth it. Futures, which the band calls “a sequel to Clarity,” its 1999 album, is comprised of 11 listen-worthy emo tracks that drip with the band’s angst-y charm.

The first single, “Pain,” races with a fast tempo courtesy of bassist Rick Burch and drummer Zach Lind’s staccato beats, much like their wildly popular Bleed American hit, “The Middle.” The subject matter, though, is darker than the band’s happy-go-lucky hit of yesteryear; lead singer Jim Adkins wails as if plagued by turmoil, “Anyone can see my every flaw / It isn’t hard / Anyone can say they’re above this all / It takes my pain away.”

“Work,” Jimmy Eat World’s latest single, includes the subtle cooing of Liz Phair, whose vocals perfectly complement Adkins’s desperate chorus. The lines “Can we take a ride? / Get out of this place while we still have time” make any listener yearn to escape the ho-hum frustration of everyday life.

Futures possesses depth beyond its crowd-pleasing singles; other outstanding tracks include the heart-wrenching “Kill,” which alludes to the emo-core Heatmiser song, “Half Right;” the upbeat “The World You Love,” as well as the optimistic disc-opener and namesake of the album, “Futures.”

The disc’s energy slows down at track eight with the depressed ballad “Drugs or Me,” which could use a little more subtlety in its title and lyrics. Nevertheless, the song’s gorgeous instrumental backing redeems its few shaky lines.

Futures is a testament to Jimmy Eat World’s emo-rock genius that has led it through a decade of quality music making. As the album’s title hints, if the band continues to follow its upward trend, Jimmy Eat World has quite a future ahead.

Hannah Bae can be contacted at h.bae@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...