Are we really living in a porn nation?

Congrats, Campus Crusade for Christ and Michael Leahy! Porn Nation was a perfect hook for Campus Crusade to bring in a new audience to evangelize to. And what did Mike get? Well, if you were at the presentation (or had downloaded a bootleg copy off the internet like me) you’d know that Mike was once a sex addict. His parents failed to give him a comprehensive sex education, and when he got out on his own he threw self-control to the wind and became a “compulsive masturbator.” He then brought this burden upon a wife and children, which he ended up leaving for another, female, sex addict.

Time for a therapist, right?

Nah. It’s time to listen to the voices in your head.

Mike turned to God! The funny thing is, if you’re a complete weirdo (like me) and created a transcript of a bootleg copy of his presentation, you’ll see that a lot of the language he used to describe his pornographic compulsion he later used to describe his religious compulsion. In fact, at the beginning of the presentation, he warns people of the dangers of funneling down all your needs to be fueled by one source. Apparently religious zealotry is exempt from Mike’s own rule of logic.

So why try to cross over into the realm of physical addictions to spread the word of God?

Mikey admits in his speech that sexual addiction isn’t common amongst college students. However, in his mind, things can “take a nasty turn” in such an “open” environment. It sounds like he’s making a case against childhood oppression that many American religions breed.

I don’t know if it’s just me, but, gosh, UM is pretty good at making sure only the best and brightest are admitted in to this school. We’ve all had to exhibit self-control in our lives to get where we are now. And if we can force ourselves to sit down for six hours to write a research paper, I’m pretty sure we can keep our hands out of our pants, for most of the day at least.

What’s wrong with a little dilly-dallying in the wonderful world of sex? Well, for Christians, it isn’t what God wants for us. So what’s my motivation? I believe in evolution. Sex is part of our biological nature. We are sexual beings, and to deny that is unnatural.

And if my sexual sensibilities weren’t already offended enough, according to the Mikester, society has “duped” females into becoming sexual aggressors! Heaven forbid a woman isn’t ready to settle down or recognizes that a man just doesn’t have what she needs in a husband, and use him for sex! No, the American culture is too sexualized. And all those media giants, headed by men, have fooled us women into believing that we actually could share in 50 percent of the glorious phenomenon that is premarital sex.

I’ll leave you with a quote from the Porn Nation website’s student message board:

“I loved when a question was asked about other ways to cure your addiction other than God you stated there really is no there way. I’m glad you kept it on God.”

Whoops! I guess if you’re a Muslim, atheist, or of any other “unacceptable” religious orientation, you’ll just have to make sure the keyboard doesn’t get too sticky.

Margaret Scott can be contacted at mscott2@umisis.miami.edu.

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...