Are we really living in a porn nation?

Congrats, Campus Crusade for Christ and Michael Leahy! Porn Nation was a perfect hook for Campus Crusade to bring in a new audience to evangelize to. And what did Mike get? Well, if you were at the presentation (or had downloaded a bootleg copy off the internet like me) you’d know that Mike was once a sex addict. His parents failed to give him a comprehensive sex education, and when he got out on his own he threw self-control to the wind and became a “compulsive masturbator.” He then brought this burden upon a wife and children, which he ended up leaving for another, female, sex addict.

Time for a therapist, right?

Nah. It’s time to listen to the voices in your head.

Mike turned to God! The funny thing is, if you’re a complete weirdo (like me) and created a transcript of a bootleg copy of his presentation, you’ll see that a lot of the language he used to describe his pornographic compulsion he later used to describe his religious compulsion. In fact, at the beginning of the presentation, he warns people of the dangers of funneling down all your needs to be fueled by one source. Apparently religious zealotry is exempt from Mike’s own rule of logic.

So why try to cross over into the realm of physical addictions to spread the word of God?

Mikey admits in his speech that sexual addiction isn’t common amongst college students. However, in his mind, things can “take a nasty turn” in such an “open” environment. It sounds like he’s making a case against childhood oppression that many American religions breed.

I don’t know if it’s just me, but, gosh, UM is pretty good at making sure only the best and brightest are admitted in to this school. We’ve all had to exhibit self-control in our lives to get where we are now. And if we can force ourselves to sit down for six hours to write a research paper, I’m pretty sure we can keep our hands out of our pants, for most of the day at least.

What’s wrong with a little dilly-dallying in the wonderful world of sex? Well, for Christians, it isn’t what God wants for us. So what’s my motivation? I believe in evolution. Sex is part of our biological nature. We are sexual beings, and to deny that is unnatural.

And if my sexual sensibilities weren’t already offended enough, according to the Mikester, society has “duped” females into becoming sexual aggressors! Heaven forbid a woman isn’t ready to settle down or recognizes that a man just doesn’t have what she needs in a husband, and use him for sex! No, the American culture is too sexualized. And all those media giants, headed by men, have fooled us women into believing that we actually could share in 50 percent of the glorious phenomenon that is premarital sex.

I’ll leave you with a quote from the Porn Nation website’s student message board:

“I loved when a question was asked about other ways to cure your addiction other than God you stated there really is no there way. I’m glad you kept it on God.”

Whoops! I guess if you’re a Muslim, atheist, or of any other “unacceptable” religious orientation, you’ll just have to make sure the keyboard doesn’t get too sticky.

Margaret Scott can be contacted at mscott2@umisis.miami.edu.

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...