Are we really living in a porn nation?

Congrats, Campus Crusade for Christ and Michael Leahy! Porn Nation was a perfect hook for Campus Crusade to bring in a new audience to evangelize to. And what did Mike get? Well, if you were at the presentation (or had downloaded a bootleg copy off the internet like me) you’d know that Mike was once a sex addict. His parents failed to give him a comprehensive sex education, and when he got out on his own he threw self-control to the wind and became a “compulsive masturbator.” He then brought this burden upon a wife and children, which he ended up leaving for another, female, sex addict.

Time for a therapist, right?

Nah. It’s time to listen to the voices in your head.

Mike turned to God! The funny thing is, if you’re a complete weirdo (like me) and created a transcript of a bootleg copy of his presentation, you’ll see that a lot of the language he used to describe his pornographic compulsion he later used to describe his religious compulsion. In fact, at the beginning of the presentation, he warns people of the dangers of funneling down all your needs to be fueled by one source. Apparently religious zealotry is exempt from Mike’s own rule of logic.

So why try to cross over into the realm of physical addictions to spread the word of God?

Mikey admits in his speech that sexual addiction isn’t common amongst college students. However, in his mind, things can “take a nasty turn” in such an “open” environment. It sounds like he’s making a case against childhood oppression that many American religions breed.

I don’t know if it’s just me, but, gosh, UM is pretty good at making sure only the best and brightest are admitted in to this school. We’ve all had to exhibit self-control in our lives to get where we are now. And if we can force ourselves to sit down for six hours to write a research paper, I’m pretty sure we can keep our hands out of our pants, for most of the day at least.

What’s wrong with a little dilly-dallying in the wonderful world of sex? Well, for Christians, it isn’t what God wants for us. So what’s my motivation? I believe in evolution. Sex is part of our biological nature. We are sexual beings, and to deny that is unnatural.

And if my sexual sensibilities weren’t already offended enough, according to the Mikester, society has “duped” females into becoming sexual aggressors! Heaven forbid a woman isn’t ready to settle down or recognizes that a man just doesn’t have what she needs in a husband, and use him for sex! No, the American culture is too sexualized. And all those media giants, headed by men, have fooled us women into believing that we actually could share in 50 percent of the glorious phenomenon that is premarital sex.

I’ll leave you with a quote from the Porn Nation website’s student message board:

“I loved when a question was asked about other ways to cure your addiction other than God you stated there really is no there way. I’m glad you kept it on God.”

Whoops! I guess if you’re a Muslim, atheist, or of any other “unacceptable” religious orientation, you’ll just have to make sure the keyboard doesn’t get too sticky.

Margaret Scott can be contacted at mscott2@umisis.miami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ If N’Kosi Perry starts against North Carolina — as ma ...

Want a hot topic at the University of Miami? Quarterbacks. Want a hot unit? Defense. While Hurricane ...

The quarterback topic never gets old at the University of Miami, especially this week, when Hurrican ...

Mark Richt did what many of us expected Tuesday morning at the University of Miami’s Greentree Field ...

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Canes have not named a starting quarterback for Thursday's game vs. UNC, but they know they ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

View some of the top images from Estela Perez-Somarriba's Oracle ITA Masters title match victor ...

Lucia Marzal Martinez of the Miami women's tennis team competed as an amateur Tuesday in the Hi ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...