We bear some of blame for ‘nigger’

Today we live in a world where I can say we black people bear some of the blame for the perpetuation of the use of the word nigger. The term once used to humiliate blacks has now become a unique word in our vernacular. We have co-opted the term and use it as a stand in for the common nouns he (nigga) and they (niggas). Some say that because of the history of the word blacks are the rightful owners of it. This is the dumbest excuse I have ever heard. Take a look at black history and how black people have fought to erase the stigma of being viewed as the ugliest, least educated, laziest and most hopeless entities. All of that is embodied in one word-nigger.

Today people embrace the term and are proud to be niggas. In a documentary on the use of the word, Ludacris says that there is a difference between the word nigger and nigga. He considers the former to be an oppressive term while the latter is simply a term of endearment. What he meant to say was that if white people utter the word, the use of violence may be a way of helping them understand why the word is so taboo.

We use the word as if it were just another noun but take offense to others using it regardless of context. Rap artists use the term with hopes that their lyrics make them appear harder and true to their roots in urban areas. The interesting part of this is that the majority of the consumers who will buy their music do not look like them. There is no way these artists can be angry if their fans repeat their lyrics then get angry at someone in another situation who uses the same word.

I remember as a child hearing adults cursing around me but not being allowed to curse. Guess what? I cursed eventually. Today I hear whites, Cubans and many other groups using the term in similar fashion to the way we use it. Of course it is wrong, but the way black popular culture is marketed, nigga is as ubiquitous as the sideways hat and throwback jersey.

We have the opportunity to eliminate the word from the lexicon but we do not. We do not chastise performers for use of the word because it makes them sound more “authentic,” because it didn’t start on stage but it currently resides there. We owe it to those that preceded us to show others that we as black people are more than just a group with low expectations. We are attempting to break free but nigger is right there with us waiting to be personified.

Vontilla Steven can be contacted at v.steven@umiami.edu.

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...