UMNEWS – UM Miller School of Medicine dean accepts new post

John G. Clarkson, M.D., senior vice president for medical affairs and dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine for the past decade, announced Tuesday that he is stepping down as dean to accept the position of executive director of the American Board of Ophthalmology. Clarkson will remain as dean until a successor has been named, and then will assume a new part-time leadership role at the University.

“Dean Clarkson has brought the University of Miami School of Medicine to previously unimaginable heights of excellence in biomedical research, education and patient care,” said University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala.

Beginning in January 2006, Clarkson will lead the American Board of Ophthalmology, a certifying agency of the American Board of Medical Specialists that ensures that ophthalmologists maintain top professional skills. “I see this role as a broader one where I can participate with the rest of medicine to make sure that ophthalmologists can prove their ability to provide the most advanced care for patients,” Clarkson said.

Clarkson was director of UM’s nationally acclaimed Bascom Palmer Eye Institute and chairman of the Department of Ophthalmology before becoming dean in November 1995. During his tenure as dean he has recruited significant research and academic talent to the University and presided over hefty annual growth in the research enterprise.

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...