Singing their own hearts out

f you see a guy dressed like a heart singing at the front of your lecture hall instead of your professor at the podium, don’t worry-you’re in the right place. It’s only the Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia delivering its singing valentines.

In honor of Valentine’s Day each year, the fraternity holds a fundraiser selling “singing valentines.” For seven dollars, anyone can request that a valentine be delivered to another person. The guys will come to that class and serenade the designated person with their a cappella music right in the middle of class. In front of everyone.

“It’s a big tradition with the frat,” Lucas Perez, junior, said. “Besides being lovable and beautiful it’s funny and embarrassing.”

“It’s literally been going on so long that none of us know when it started,” Jonathan Cofino, junior, said.

The performers said that professors generally don’t mind the singers interrupting their classes.

“Sometimes [professors mind]when they are giving a test or when there is a presentation,” Cofino said. “More often than not, it’s cool.”

Anyone can join the men’s music fraternity, regardless of their major or what school they are in. The 18 men who switch off singing the valentines range from civil engineering to sports administration majors.

A couple of the fraternity members displayed their talents for The Hurricane, singing “In the Still of the Night” a cappella, complete with finger snapping and down on one knee.

On Valentine’s Day, the singers will be delivering a special valentine to President Shalala, who celebrates her birthday that day.

“It’s our birthday gift to her,” Perez said.

But it’s up to the receiver to decide whether they’re swept off their feet or they want to bury their head in the ground.

“Also during singing we have someone wearing a big life-size heart,” he said. “Cox lecture hall is amazing because it’s so many people it’s really embarrassing. It’s difficult to get the heart down the aisle.”

Megha Garg can be contacted at m.garg2@umiami.edu.

University of Miami’s new/old starting quarterback Malik Rosier thought his college football career ...

You know what the infamous N’Kosi Perry wads-o’-cash video brings to mind for me? The good old days. ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday evening: ▪ Would you like a greater understanding of why ...

As the college football season continues toward the finish line, Bovada updated its odds on who can ...

More misfortune for the University of Miami football program. University of Miami freshman running b ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

Miami's offense has shown consistent improvement in practice and it is eager to shine on Friday ...

The University of Miami volleyball program closes out its homestand against instate rival Florida St ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami women's basketball placed fifth in the ACC Coaches' predicted order of finish, w ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up competition Tuesday at the ITA Southeast R ...