Self-control is the key for a shopaholic

I am feeling overwhelmed! I know that we’re only a month into this semester, but I already feel the burnout coming. I’m always invited to an abundance of school and social events, but then I don’t have time to hang out with my friends or do my homework. I don’t know how to manage it all! Help!

Burned out

Dear Reader,

I feel your pain, but you’ve got to keep going somehow! If anything, the stressful life you lead today will only get more hectic down the road. This is merely practice for the big times! Two words for you: time management. Whoa. Nothing new-V’s not that smart! If you sit down with your schedule and a shiny new agenda, you will have the ability to visualize your week, your day and your life. Organizing your time to a “T” may help unburden your stressed-out self.

Likewise, maybe it’s not such a bad idea to cut down on the amount of activities that you’ve managed to involve yourself in. Learn how to say no to the invitations that you really have little interest in, and remember that you are at school to study-really, your parents pay 30 grand a year for a reason.

If you find yourself getting really stressed out, and the black hole in front of you just gets bigger, I recommend taking a visit to the Counseling Center. Furthermore, The Toppel Career Center on campus offers several “brown bag” time-management seminars, as well as other helpful hints for learning how to keep your life in check.

Sincerely,

V.

I’m broke, and I don’t know where any of my money went! I seem to spend money like water, and I constantly find myself in a mall or in a store paying for a purchase with money that I don’t really have. I’m starting to freak out because my parents are getting kind of mad at me, but I can’t seem to stop!

$Bling$

Dear Reader,

Oh my God, textbook example of the college spendthrift. How much do you have in credit card debt? Do you know your credit rating? Have you established a credit rating? Do you have any idea just what the hell I’m talking about?

OK, put the catalogue down and shut off your computer. It’s time for you to start budgeting your money Mr./Ms. Bling (we all know that it’s not real anyway). Go through your closet and determine what you have, what you need, and what you have way freakin’ much of. Take this newly created list and purchase what you need…periodically. Just like Rome, a great wardrobe is not built in a day! Take this list-building activity and apply it to other “necessities” that you find yourself consuming: electronics, jewelry, books, knick-knacks, and food. Yes, you’ve got the hang of it. It’s pretty easy.

Have you ever bothered to ask yourself why you purchase so much junk? Is there some kind of icky relationship in your life that creates a void, or maybe unresolved issues with your own self-image? Maybe if you struggle through figuring out just what makes you tick, you might find yourself saving the dough. In the meantime, destroy all but one credit card-I’m assuming that you have several-put it away for emergencies, and treat it like it’s cash when you actually do have to use it.

Best of luck,

V.

Fact O’ the Day…Approximately 90 percent of men were happy with their first sexual experience as opposed to only 66 percent of women…practice makes purrrfect.

Please submit all questions, comments or concerns to DearV@hotmail.com or to the Dear V box in the offices of the Hurricane. All submissions are strictly confidential. Dear V. is published on Tuesdays and Fridays, and yes, V will respond to almost (don’t push it) anything.

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...