Letters sealed with hope

Students got the opportunity to celebrate Mardi Gras and contribute to a good cause when Up ’til Dawn [UTD] held its finale event last Tuesday on the UC Patio. Along with a barbeque, T-shirt giveaway, and a two-set performance by Unison, the R&B trio currently signed to ‘Cane Records, over 800 letters were written to raise money for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital in Memphis, Tenn.

UTD is a program hosted by more than 100 universities nationwide and works to raise money and awareness for St. Jude. The hospital, which specializes in cancer research and pediatric care, houses nearly 4,600 patients and is completely funded by donations. Patients do not pay for anything beyond what their insurance covers, and patients with no insurance do not have to pay for their treatment. UTD raises money through a letter-writing campaign, encouraging the UM community to write letters to their friends and family asking for donations to the hospital.

“The quality and care of the facility was incredible,” said Billy Bludgus, chair of UM’s UTD, of his visit to St. Jude. “The kids and their families were so gracious of everything-it had a profound impact on me.”

UTD’s goal for the year is to receive 3,700 letters. Before the finale, it had gotten 2,500. Bludgus said that many letters are currently pending, and with the success of the finale event, he was confident they would reach their goal.

“Student organizations have really helped through organizing letter writing parties and encouraging members to donate,” Callie Simon, UTD executive board member, said. Some organizations-among them the Panhellenic Association and Student Government-have made direct donations to St. Jude in the name of Up ’til Dawn.

To date, Up ’til Dawn has raised nearly $11,000 from the
letters written during the fall semester

The current campaign hopes to top last year’s donation of 12,000 dollars. To date they have raised nearly 11,000 dollars from the letters written during the fall semester, and they expect that amount to be much higher by the time all of this year’s donations are accounted for.

Mariana Rego, UTD executive board member, said the program promotes good feelings in all its participants.

“When you think about it, we’re really helping to cure childhood cancer, and that rocks,” Rego said.

>> For more information on UTD, contact the Volunteer Services Center at 305-284-GIVE.

Dave Maggiotto can be contacted at d.maggiotto@umiami.edu

Before Daniel Carter decided to sign with the Pittsburgh Panthers out of St. Thomas Aquinas, the fou ...

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...