Letters sealed with hope

Students got the opportunity to celebrate Mardi Gras and contribute to a good cause when Up ’til Dawn [UTD] held its finale event last Tuesday on the UC Patio. Along with a barbeque, T-shirt giveaway, and a two-set performance by Unison, the R&B trio currently signed to ‘Cane Records, over 800 letters were written to raise money for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital in Memphis, Tenn.

UTD is a program hosted by more than 100 universities nationwide and works to raise money and awareness for St. Jude. The hospital, which specializes in cancer research and pediatric care, houses nearly 4,600 patients and is completely funded by donations. Patients do not pay for anything beyond what their insurance covers, and patients with no insurance do not have to pay for their treatment. UTD raises money through a letter-writing campaign, encouraging the UM community to write letters to their friends and family asking for donations to the hospital.

“The quality and care of the facility was incredible,” said Billy Bludgus, chair of UM’s UTD, of his visit to St. Jude. “The kids and their families were so gracious of everything-it had a profound impact on me.”

UTD’s goal for the year is to receive 3,700 letters. Before the finale, it had gotten 2,500. Bludgus said that many letters are currently pending, and with the success of the finale event, he was confident they would reach their goal.

“Student organizations have really helped through organizing letter writing parties and encouraging members to donate,” Callie Simon, UTD executive board member, said. Some organizations-among them the Panhellenic Association and Student Government-have made direct donations to St. Jude in the name of Up ’til Dawn.

To date, Up ’til Dawn has raised nearly $11,000 from the
letters written during the fall semester

The current campaign hopes to top last year’s donation of 12,000 dollars. To date they have raised nearly 11,000 dollars from the letters written during the fall semester, and they expect that amount to be much higher by the time all of this year’s donations are accounted for.

Mariana Rego, UTD executive board member, said the program promotes good feelings in all its participants.

“When you think about it, we’re really helping to cure childhood cancer, and that rocks,” Rego said.

>> For more information on UTD, contact the Volunteer Services Center at 305-284-GIVE.

Dave Maggiotto can be contacted at d.maggiotto@umiami.edu

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The 2019-20 college basketball season is more than six months away, but the University of Miami Hurr ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

Following a 4-1 victory over No. 13-seed Virginia Tech Thursday in its ACC Championship opener, the ...

The fifth-seeded Miami women's tennis team started ACC Championship competition with a 4-1 vict ...

The Hurricanes will battle fourth-seed NC State in the quarterfinals Friday at 9 a.m. ...

The Canes made a late charge, but fell short at No. 8 Louisville 7-5 ...

Because of expected inclement weather, Thursday's game time has been moved up one hour to 5 p.m ...